Hello! I need help of experts for a personal project i am working on. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello again! I had a doubt according to the equipment of the English and the German pilots. Besides the revolver and the flare gun of the Spitifre Pilot, and the Stuka Pilot's Luger (I ain't too sure about this last one, correct me if I am wrong), did they carry canteens or other provisions in the event of crashing in the desert?

The RAF pilot also could have a small bag attached. It was the RAF First Aid Kit. More info you may find with the link.

nored085.jpg

nored086.jpg

the source: WWII Uniforms - Fighter Pilot Gear

As memo serves additionally there could be a small box called the Esacape Kit. It contains : some amount of money ( the currency depended on the operational area ), a map printed on a siliky fabric sheet, a small compass, a knife, a whistle. And a request for help from the locals, with the promise of a large reward if they help the carrier back to British lines, printed on silk sheet in various languages eg ... the Arabic and the English. There could be a tin with the Emergency Flying Ration.

See the links below.

It would be rare (but not impossible) for the antenna to be damaged/destroyed, but in such an event, the aircraft could still send/receive to other aircraft close by.

The exception would be if the antenna's damage was such, that the emitter wire was grounded, creating a direct short. If that's the case, the radio will lose it's ability to transmit, but *may* still receive.

So it may lose the ability to transmit but still recieve, but it may lose complete communication if the distance between was too far?

The radio typically installed in the Bf109 (and Fw190) was the FuG7, which operated between 2.5Mhz and 7.5Mhz with an output of 7 watts.

This meant that the radio had a working range of roughly 30 miles (50km).
With damage to the antenna (assuming it's not shorted), the range would be barely 150 feet (45m).

One of the reasons the radio would still be able to be heard at all, is due to the low frequencies it operated on.

Hello again! I had a question about the moral codes of the pilots concerning the RAF and the Luftwaffe, was there a written/ unwritten motto/ code/ oath of honor when it came to air combat?

I don't think so. Some pilots would go for the man, others wouldn't dream of it. I have read pilots sometimes shot down their own CO when they weren't popular. I think unless a unit was strictly run one way or the other, it was entirely up to the character of the individual pilot. As they say, 'All is fair in love and war...'

Last edited:
George Beurling.....".....As the air war over Malta continued through the summer and into autumn, the fighting became more brutal. Atrocities were committed by both sides. Although Beurling always carried a Bible with him when he went into the air, he nevertheless shot and killed Axis pilots who were bailing out or were parachuting from their burning planes. He justified this brutal behavior by telling a reporter, "The way I figure it, he might get down, get back to Germany, and come back to shoot me down."
Beurling also pointed out that his shootings were an act of revenge. A Spitfire pilot had been shot dead while parachuting down......"

Hello! Been a while since my last post! I was wondering, among the Luftwaffe medals, which were the most commonly given to pilots?
I don't know if this one would be okay for the period of 1943:
It would belong to the Stuka Gunner of the project I mentioned previously.

Hello Again! I' ve been considering the possibility of changing some of the aircraft of the project, specifically the Spitfire, maybe changing it for a Hawker Hurricane.

But my doubt is: I don´t know how common these aircraft were in the Mediterranean theater in North Africa, or if they were dicommissioned before 1943, if that is the case I will mantain the aircraft established before.

Was the Hawker Hurricane a current aircraft during the North African Campaign in 1943?

6 Squadron from Wiki.....

Between September 1940 and September 1943 the squadron saw action in the tank-busting, 40 mm cannon-firing Hawker Hurricane Mk. IID, over the Western Desert.[13]
In the spring of 1944, the squadron moved to a coastal field south-east of Termoli, Italy. The squadron flew Hurricane Mk.IVs equipped with rocket projectiles. Moored Axis ships were attacked at Yugoslav harbours and the Dalmatian islands. They were strongly defended by anti-aircraft gunners on Siebel ferries with their multiple guns, as the ships were being used to supply the German forces. Squadron detachments were also made to Bastia in Corsica, Araxos near Patras in Greece, Brindisi, and near Ancona. A fixed 44-gallon extra petrol tank under the port wing increased the Hurricanes' duration to almost three hours at 160 mph (260 km/h) cruising speed. The airfield on Vis (island) was extensively used as an advanced base from May 1944 to February 1945, usually to top up tanks before each armed reconnaissance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back