Help needed for Mosquito tailwheel restoration! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

<simon>

Airman 1st Class
Jan 24, 2008
Heyfield, Victoria
Hey everyone,
I recently aquired an original De Havilland Mosquito tailwheel i am seeking advice on how to restore/preserve this unit.
There are small corrosion pits over most of the assembly and one of the axle arms has worn down to the point where there isnt much aluminium holding the wheel in place.
I am wondering if anyone knows the existence of De Havilland plans/drawings/sketchs which would help in the disassembly of the tailwheel.
One thing i have figured out is the spring inside the shock absorber must be still under huge force -between 200kg and 2 tonne! Quite a large and..ummm..dangerous force!
Any advice or info would be useful.
I've attached a couple of pictures (i think) if they help at all

Thanks
Simon

Attachments

• IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 522
Hi Simon,

Maybe these will help and maybe not. Last picture is from the book Squadron signal mosquito along with explanation of look of rear wheel and why it looks the way it does.

Attachments

• AECZ00aa00fw.jpg
    AECZ00aa00fw.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 810
  • tail wheel.jpg
    tail wheel.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 902
  • tail wheel 1.jpg
    tail wheel 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,479
Try contacting the RNZAF Museum - they have a ton of original documents and components and are extremely helpful.

Apparently the nose wheel of the vampire was the same unit used as the tail wheel in the Mosquito, so that might open up another avenue for you, too...

Ok I'll try both of those contacts
Thanks for that

A4K, is do you mean the museum at Wanaka?
Or is there an official Air Force museum?

Thanks again guys
Simon

The RAAF Museum recently restored a Mossie tailwheel for its main restoration project.
Home

To remove the dowells at the base of the compression cylinder you will need a special tools to extract the dowells while the leg is compressed to release the load on the dowells and to release the rod that holds it all together.

The compression cylinder uses rubber blocks in compression to provide the "spring".

The Mosquito Manual book has the drawings to assist.

Thanks heaps Mossie! When you say special tool i assume this is quite a large piece of equipment, not to mention reasonably rare?

Are the dowell pins the only thing holding the cylinder in the outer casing?

Typical me, ask all these questions without looking at the site...

Thanks again for your help,
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back