Help needed with the translation of my WWII Japanese flag

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ironmannf

Airman
Feb 6, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I have a Japanese flag that I would love to know what's written on it. If someone could help translate what it says, I would truly appreciate your help.
Thank you,
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 66
Hello, Bob
It can be read like this.

1. 武運長久 Buunchokyu = Wishing long lasting good luck in the battlefield

2. 陸軍第五師団本部 Rikugun dai-go shidan honbu = Army 5th division headquarters

3. 歩兵第五連(隊) Hohei dai-go ren(tai) = 5th infantry regiment

4. 東條英機 Tojo, Hideki

5. 陸戦部隊 Rikusen butai = Naval landing forces

6. 司令長官 Shirei chohkan = Commander-in-Chief

7. 忠勇 Chuyu = Be loyal and brave

8. 連絡軍 Renrakugun = Liaison army

9. 鈴木首相 Suzuki syusyo = Prime Minister Suzuki(Kantaro)

10. 尽忠報国 Jinchu hokoku = Do best and be loyal to your country

11. 昭和十九年 Showa 19 nen = Year 1944

12. 陸軍第五師団軍用旗 Rikugun dai-go shidan gunyoki = Army 5th division's banner

13. 防衛司令部之印 Boei shireibu no in = Seal of defense headquarters

14. 防衛司令部之印 Boei shireibu no in = Seal of defense headquarters

This is a souvenir flag which was sold in the postwar, probably in Hiroshima as the 5th Div. headquarter was located there. Historical value will be higher in the future. You can find some similar flags in this forum:

IMG_0730R.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Shinpachi
Thank you so much for translating what is written on the flag! I never knew that there were souvenir flags sold to the GIs. Does this flag have any value?
Thank you,
Bob

Your flag is valuable as a historic 'genuine' souvenir flag which never bears any sorrow for any family.
I truly apologize, I should have been a little more clear with my question. Please let me rephrase it. Do you know what the approximate monetary value of the flag is because as I would like to include it under my insurance policy along with my other collectibles or is it not worth it? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

I truly apologize, I should have been a little more clear with my question. Please let me rephrase it. Do you know what the approximate monetary value of the flag is because as I would like to include it under my insurance policy along with my other collectibles or is it not worth it? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Frankly, I have no idea about the price in the US as even an authentic battle field flag seems to be offered $1,500 to 3,000 which looks crazy for such a piece of cloth though I would be glad to accept such a price if it was my father's flag lost in 1945. Around $500 looks reasonable in my impression.

Frankly, I have no idea about the price in the US as even an authentic battle field flag seems to be offered $1,500 to 3,000 which looks crazy for such a piece of cloth though I would be glad to accept such a price if it was my father's flag lost in 1945. Around $500 looks reasonable in my impression.
Thank you so much for getting back to me regarding this matter and I truly do appreciate all of your help! I really like this flag a lot and I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove the wrinkles and folds without damaging it for a better display. Once again, thank you so much!!

To remove the wrinkles, you can lay the flag on a flat surface and place an equally flat object on it that has a bit of weight to it and then leave it for a while. This should help smooth it out.

Another option, would be to have a trusted cleaners hand iron it. If they are reputable, they would know how to treat delicates such as silk and vintage materials and use a low heat iron with a protective piece of cloth over the flag during the gentle ironing process.

To remove the wrinkles, you can lay the flag on a flat surface and place an equally flat object on it that has a bit of weight to it and then leave it for a while. This should help smooth it out.

Another option, would be to have a trusted cleaners hand iron it. If they are reputable, they would know how to treat delicates such as silk and vintage materials and use a low heat iron with a protective piece of cloth over the flag during the gentle ironing process.
What a great idea, I never thought about using a dry cleaner. I think I'll reach out to him to see if it's something that he can do. Thank you!

I was telling my daughter all about how you translated the writing on my flag and she thought it was awesome. She asked me to see if you could translate a fabric tag that is sewn onto the sling of her Arisaka Type 99 rifle? In case anyone was wondering...yes, the rifle really does belongs to her, both my daughter and my son collect military guns like myself. If you could help her out, I know she would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_5602.JPG
    IMG_5602.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
I was telling my daughter all about how you translated the writing on my flag and she thought it was awesome. She asked me to see if you could translate a fabric tag that is sewn onto the sling of her Arisaka Type 99 rifle? In case anyone was wondering...yes, the rifle really does belongs to her, both my daughter and my son collect military guns like myself. If you could help her out, I know she would greatly appreciate it.
It's Kasiwakura (カシハクラ = 柏倉). Probably Mr. Kasiwakura's rifle.

IMG_5602.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back