Help needed...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DaveBoynton

Recruit
Jun 5, 2020
Firstly I want to say hi to everyone on here,

I have been through pretty much all threads that pertain to what I am about to ask help for with little success.

My first request is for plans to any and all Mosquitos. Like others the only ones I can find are very poor line drawings, although they do have some great drawings of other parts such as the ones below.

Mossie 01.png

I would love other blueprints/clearer line drawings of the amazing Mosquito especially of the cockpit. I was able to have access to the B35 some years ago to climb in and around to take measurements and photos but with various house moves etc I have lost all this precious information.

I am looking for early FB, NF, B and Sea variants if this is possible.

My second request is...

For any technical/accurate line drawings for the English Electric Lightning, mainly the F6 variant. I am looking for accurate tech drawings/images of the aircraft but more so the cockpit.

I know this is a big ask but I have seen some great responses on the various threads and hope that there is someone out there that is able to help in these steep requests.

Kind regards,

Dave

"MOSQUITO FB.VI Airframe, systems and wartime usage" by Dave brown has some very good line drawings although they lack cross-sections of the fuselage.
There is also "Flygplansritningar 2: Svenska Flygvapnets Jaktflygplan 1926-84" which contains line drawings with cross-sections for the Mosquito Mk.19.
Bunrin Do's "Famous Airplanes of the World n°48" which has plans for both Mosquito NF Mk.II and B Mk.IV but without cross-sections.
There are digital copies of these books at mirageswar.com but the hosting sites have very low DL speeds (~56kB/s) and you have to wait a long time beween downloads.
"De Havilland Mosquito Cz.1: Polscy Piloci na Mosquito (Monografie Lotnicze 101)" has good line drawings with some cross-sections for early models. It's available at faorposst.ru but the pdf is hosted on the same sites as the books mentioned above, so you will have to wait between downloads.

Welcome aboard. Your plan example shows rivets on wooden flaps so.......

What is the purpose of your request? I am on a team that is restoring a B.35 so if you have specific needs I may be able to help. The Mosquito original drawing count is known to be over 22,000 and among them would be dimensioned part drawings for all the bits and pieces that make up the airplane including those in the cockpit. The 6000 or so copies of drawings that I do have access to are very poor quality and the vast majority are for things like special washers, springs, cables, and various other component pieces. There are some very poor cockpit General Arrangements and I include a sample screen grab below to give you a feeling for what we are dealing with. I'm guessing that what you are after will be best served by diagrams produced in publications like the ones listed above by Baball. You might also what to check out the various manuals here: Pilot notes - De Havilland Mosquito FB 6 and here: Mosquito Mks VIII, IX XVI Notes

Capture.JPG

Keep in mind also that even if you were to obtain a pristine drawing of, say, an FB VI, that there were over 1400 design modifications issued over the life of the Mosquito, many of which represent deviations from the design drawings. One example would be the switch over from fabric (as shown on your plan) to metal elevators. So again, if you have a specific need, post your questions and I'll do my best to answer.

"MOSQUITO FB.VI Airframe, systems and wartime usage" by Dave brown has some very good line drawings although they lack cross-sections of the fuselage.
There is also "Flygplansritningar 2: Svenska Flygvapnets Jaktflygplan 1926-84" which contains line drawings with cross-sections for the Mosquito Mk.19.
Bunrin Do's "Famous Airplanes of the World n°48" which has plans for both Mosquito NF Mk.II and B Mk.IV but without cross-sections.
There are digital copies of these books at mirageswar.com but the hosting sites have very low DL speeds (~56kB/s) and you have to wait a long time beween downloads.
"De Havilland Mosquito Cz.1: Polscy Piloci na Mosquito (Monografie Lotnicze 101)" has good line drawings with some cross-sections for early models. It's available at faorposst.ru but the pdf is hosted on the same sites as the books mentioned above, so you will have to wait between downloads.

Hi Baball,

Thank you for these links. I will look into these books to see what there is available. Never seen this site and looks to be a good site for various material.

Kind regards,

Dave

What is the purpose of your request? I am on a team that is restoring a B.35 so if you have specific needs I may be able to help. The Mosquito original drawing count is known to be over 22,000 and among them would be dimensioned part drawings for all the bits and pieces that make up the airplane including those in the cockpit. The 6000 or so copies of drawings that I do have access to are very poor quality and the vast majority are for things like special washers, springs, cables, and various other component pieces. There are some very poor cockpit General Arrangements and I include a sample screen grab below to give you a feeling for what we are dealing with. I'm guessing that what you are after will be best served by diagrams produced in publications like the ones listed above by Baball. You might also what to check out the various manuals here: Pilot notes - De Havilland Mosquito FB 6 and here: Mosquito Mks VIII, IX XVI Notes

View attachment 584168

Keep in mind also that even if you were to obtain a pristine drawing of, say, an FB VI, that there were over 1400 design modifications issued over the life of the Mosquito, many of which represent deviations from the design drawings. One example would be the switch over from fabric (as shown on your plan) to metal elevators. So again, if you have a specific need, post your questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Hi Crimea_River,

Thank you for the reply, I am currently picking up my projects that I started a number of years ago for Combat Flight Simulator 3. It annoyed me how inaccurate the ones produced by M$ were and so I set about creating accurate models for people to fly in the simulator. So myself and a friend organised with the DeHavilland Heritage centre to spend the entire day measuring and photographing the entire B35, inside and out.

As I mentioned in the years past I have lost almost all the measurements and images recorded. I would love any accurate technical drawings of the main external of the aircraft but one thing I could really do with is cockpit instrument layout measurements. I have an altimeter from a mosquito, although the same one was used in many aircraft the era but I am only able to measure that and then guesstimate the rest of the gauges which I do not want to do as I want the aircraft I build to be to the best of the information I can.

The image above looks to be a great shot of the shape of the cockpit canopy frame.

Things like detailed landing gear images, canopy framework, nose glass, Radiator housing and outlet, nacelles all of which, were possible, with measurements.

To be honest any of the above would be of a huge help as I want them to be as accurate as I possibly can, sorry if I am repeating myself but I see so many models out there where so much of it isn't correct that I want to make it as close as possible.

I will add images of the work I had done previous but I am correcting and improving where it requires it.

Kind regards,

Dave

Attachments

• B35 Mossie.JPG
    B35 Mossie.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 88
  • B35 Mossie gear 001.JPG
    B35 Mossie gear 001.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 87
  • B35 Mossie gear 002.JPG
    B35 Mossie gear 002.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Test flying.jpg
    Test flying.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 84
DH Mosquito Design Analysis

It's a good article but I don't think it's what he's looking for.

Dave, the drawings that my organization has all came from the DH Heritage Centre from a chap named Bob Glasby. I'm not at liberty to post these on the internet as they are copyrighted and to cover your needs would involve handing over several hundred drawings as I explain below. Since you have been there before, I would suggest that you contact Mr. Glasby to explain what you are doing and he may be inclined to give you access to his files.

From my experience, the way the DH drawing system works is that the General Assembly (GA) drawings that would help you typically do not have dimensions. Each GA itemizes individual parts and shows how they are put together and each itemized part has its own dimensioned drawing whose number corresponds to the part number. So, if you wanted a dimensioned view of the "instrument panel", you would need the GA and all of the drawings of the component pieces (blind flying panel plate, engine instrument panel plate, mounting frame, etc.) that make up the instrument panel. So what you are looking for is a huge ask and the only reasonable solution I can suggest is to contact Mr. Glasby as I suggested, if it's drawings that you are after. That said, what he has, and what we have, is only about a quarter of the known drawings. 95% of the drawings that made up the design of the Mosquito are held by the People's Mosquito organization and I can tell you now that you won't ever get copies of these unless you are an embedded member of their team. Given these challenges, you may find, depending on where you are located, that the best solution is to do what you have done before and find a nearby Mosquito whose custodian may be willing to give you access.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck in your endeavours and keep us posted on your interesting project.

Hi Guys,

Crimea_River Crimea_River Thank you for the help you have provided above. Now that I am on my days off I will get in touch with Bob Glasby and see what he/they are able to offer in the way of help.

I will endeavour to produce the best model I can with what information I can get my hands on.

All the best to all on here and hope you're all staying safe,

Kind regards,

Dave

View attachment 584168

HELLO Thanks for the info. Im building a flight sim pit of the Mosquito F/B cockpit do you have anything that may help? pic, drawings, Measurements etc.

hello again at the moment im looking for the FB cockpit dash/instrument panel measurements to do a sim pit mock up also the flight stick and rudder pedals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back