Help on Me109G colours in late '44..

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by SteveH, Nov 6, 2007.

1. SteveH

SteveH Member

Home Page:
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to complete a painting of some B17s of the 91st BG being attacked over Germany by 109s. I have painted 109Gs, but my research library is a bit limited on the axis side. I have books on order, but they'll be a while.

The scene is B17s (all Gs) of the 323rd, (main subject 'Nine-O-nine') under frontal attack in mid-late '44. Any suggestions?

Steve

2. Wayne Little

Wayne Little Well-Known Member

SteveH Bf109G colours for this time frame would mainly be in the standard
    74/75/76 colours that is RLM 74 Grey-Green and RLM 75 Grey-Violet on the upper surfaces and mottled on the fuselage sides over RLM 76 Light Blue side and lower surfaces. The G-6 version would be the most widely used candidate, take a look at the site below and check out the 'skins' should give you some ideas.

Cpt Farrels IL-2 Forgotten Battles Skins

3. Micdrow

Micdrow “Archive”
    Staff Member Moderator

Manufacture Tech
    Hi Steve,

I have lots of color profiles of the Bf-109. But for your picture I would see if you could find out what German unit might have flown against this flight. Maybe Erich or drgondog would now. If so then I might be able to provide some profiles of that unit.

4. Erich

Erich the old Sage
    Staff Member Moderator

frontal attacks on bombers ceased almost immediately after May of 44 when nearly all the Geschwader were posted to the Normandie battles, a change occurred and attacks from the rear were standard from mid July till wars end

5. Wuerger190

Wuerger190 New Member

Standard mid-war scheme for the Bf 109 G was RLM 74/75/76. However during the summer of '44 RLM 74 was more and more often being substituted by RLM 83 dark green. The RLM 83/75/76 scheme was officially introduced in October, if I remember correctly, and replaced by RLM 81 (brown)/83/76 from December onwards on the G-10 and K-4 models.

PS. Frontal attacks became increasingly rare after 1943, as the average Luftwaffe pilot didn't have the skill to pull it off succesfully. Especially after D-Day this hardly ever happened anymore (but of course there are exceptions to the rule).