Help with cockpit panel identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

C130

Recruit
Dec 2, 2021
Any help identifying this panel would be greatly appreciated, thanks
97409FAB-D40B-415A-9D4A-D57AED46EBD9.jpeg

Some comments - this panel has an airspeed indicator along side a fuel gauge, a LF direction finder head and an amp meter that looks very automotive. You normally don't have flight instruments that close to engine and navigation instruments. 2 window washer buttons, and a bunch of circuit breakers. Some data was etched directly on the panel. I'm wondering if it's actually a training aid or it ended it's life that way?

Adding pics….the scratch writing in upper left reads as follows: Header "Stick Control", Then below are the following: "Landing Lights…Trigger?), "Top button…..Right Turn", "2nd button…left turn", "4 way forward….taxi", "4 way rear…Ho???", "4 way left….???", "4 way right….????"

Attachments

• 3C08FCB1-486B-4ED9-B876-C0E8FD745D18.jpeg
    3C08FCB1-486B-4ED9-B876-C0E8FD745D18.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 0E213BC0-8501-4F28-A247-A3279CAC0FE0.jpeg
    0E213BC0-8501-4F28-A247-A3279CAC0FE0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 06E33E1A-5604-4F7E-9D18-D706EADA6491.jpeg
    06E33E1A-5604-4F7E-9D18-D706EADA6491.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
At this point I'd like to at least like to identify what type aircraft the actual panel originated from. I think it's safe to say it was modified for some purpose. Some gauges are not from WW2 whereas a couple are. I'm leaning towards a USN aircraft as the oldest gauges are USN. Thanks fellas! Your input is much appreciated!
Rob

I suspect a radio controlled target aircraft which can also be piloted as needed.

It does - but remember that most instruments are standard parts and most of the time not custom to one particular aircraft.
I agree, but presumably the combination of fuel tanks sizes should narrow down the possible aircraft considerably.

I agree, but presumably the combination of fuel tanks sizes should narrow down the possible aircraft considerably.
Not if those gauges were thrown onto a random instrument panel which can be made pretty easily. I searched several different aircraft panels and cannot find a close match. I will say the panel does resemble a panel from a GSE unit

Not if those gauges were thrown onto a random instrument panel which can be made pretty easily. I searched several different aircraft panels and cannot find a close match. I will say the panel does resemble a panel from a GSE unit
No, I meant the original aircraft the fuel gauge came from - your panel looks odd, like it's a combination of parts from other things.

Many strange clues: landing lights--left & right main-- washer button-- wiper washer button--red generator push button (temporary contact).

Provide part numbers for the gauges and the aircraft they came from can often be identified - and often, apart from fuel, the same gauge fitted multiple aircraft.

Some comments - this panel has an airspeed indicator along side a fuel gauge, a LF direction finder head and an amp meter that looks very automotive. You normally don't have flight instruments that close to engine and navigation instruments. 2 window washer buttons, and a bunch of circuit breakers. Some data was etched directly on the panel. I'm wondering if it's actually a training aid or it ended it's life that way?

The large fuel quantity and quick airspeed redline might be red herrings if the instruments were salvaged. But, the narrow profile is a solid clue. The ammeter is automotive. The labels on fuse panel imply electric flaps so this is not an entry level trainer. The nav instrument wouldn't be there if this was say an air boat panel.

Apart from the hole for the compass repeater (nav indicator) any gauge would fit most of those holes. The two top holes are for auto style gauges (most aircraft gauges had three or four mounting screws) but have Grimes eyebrow lighting. All the instrument holes have provision for the Grimes lights so I do not think it is home made. I am ignoring the top subpanel writing as it is obviously scratched in where a decal was fitted and is therefore possibly totally unrelated. The wiper washer decal and ring look like they are not part of the original panel so I would again remove them from consideration.

The rear photo shows the top mounting is at an angle which means the panel sloped back on whatever it was used on. Except for the nav instrument cutout and nav CBs I would have suspected a flight engineers panel off a PBY or other aircraft where the FE had a very cramped station.

Are we looking at a panel from a navigation trainer version of a Link trainer or something like that that has been repurposed?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back