Hi chaps from cold and wet England!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Welcome from a really wet and down right miserable suffolk mate.BB

Hi Rocketeer everyone else on the board, what a surprise to see that DB603
again after all this time, I was one of the people who dug it up back around
1969 or 1970 when I was a member of 1811 Marlow ATC, even spoke to an eye witness of the crash who was still working at the farm at that time.

Here is an article about the chaps who shot it down in 1944 German air raid on Maidenhead

where has it been since then ? I've been here in the states for the last 20 years but returning to cold and wet England in about 9 months and would enjoy seeing it again one day, good luck with your projects.

It was at Booker in the museum there for ages and when that went it was sold on, I have had it a few months.....would be delighted to show it around to you!

It was at Booker in the museum there for ages and when that went it was sold on, I have had it a few months.....would be delighted to show it around to you!

Hi Tony

I remember it being at Booker, I was one of the ATC cadets who helped
Peter Halliday and the Chiltern Historical Aircraft Preservation Group on a few of their digs, I camped out at the ME 410 crash site during the dig and collected a few small fragments for myself, I'm sure those fragments and maybe some pictures are at my mothers house in Marlow, when I get back to England I'll be in touch and pass on anything I have. When we pulled that DB603 out of the ground most of the supercharger was there but the magnesium casings turned to dust before our eyes.

I've been wondering what happened to Peters collection and its really great to have found a part of it after all this time, good luck with it and I'll really look forward to seeing this engine again one day.

Mike Oram Dixon NM USA

Welcome from Michigan in the US of A!

It doesn't sound like the crew bailed out of the Me-410. So I am wondering if the remains were recovered after the crash? Was any remains found in the dig for the engine?

I am glad to see this history being preserved. I know we care. But will the general public?

Bill G.

Welcome from Michigan in the US of A!

It doesn't sound like the crew bailed out of the Me-410. So I am wondering if the remains were recovered after the crash? Was any remains found in the dig for the engine?

I am glad to see this history being preserved. I know we care. But will the general public?

Bill G.

Hi Bill

I remember some blood stained bandages and some possible bone fragments,
the eye witness told us that they collected the remains and they were buried at the local church as "unknown German airmen" at the time, however its my understanding that Peter had contacted the Luftwaffe after we found the tail number and they had notified the families.

I know Peter had been able to track down the families of several fallen aircrew. The dig was covered by the local newspaper and I'm sure my clipping of the article is also at my mothers, when I get back and find that
I will have the exact date of the dig. for some reason I can't remember all the details of what I did almost 40 years ago :D

After the dig we went to RAF Cosford to look at this Me410 File:D-Me410.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
even got to sit in the pilots seat in this aircraft.

I don't know if anyone cares about this history all we can do is preserve these relics and hope the people we pass them to care as much as us.

Which unit did the 410 belong to? KG51?

Sorry but I don't remember many of the details now, its possible that my
notes from ATC have survived in England but until I get there and look I'm
working from memory.

I wonder what happened to the documentation from the museum.

Sorry but I don't remember many of the details now, its possible that my
notes from ATC have survived in England but until I get there and look I'm
working from memory.

I wonder what happened to the documentation from the museum.

Thanks for the reply. I believe KG51 were active over Britain February to April 1944, before transitioning to the Me 262.

Hi Bill

I remember some blood stained bandages and some possible bone fragments,
the eye witness told us that they collected the remains and they were buried at the local church as "unknown German airmen" at the time, however its my understanding that Peter had contacted the Luftwaffe after we found the tail number and they had notified the families.

I know Peter had been able to track down the families of several fallen aircrew. The dig was covered by the local newspaper and I'm sure my clipping of the article is also at my mothers, when I get back and find that
I will have the exact date of the dig. for some reason I can't remember all the details of what I did almost 40 years ago :D

I am glad to see the the families were notified. That will be a help to them to know what did happen to their loved ones. There are still many that are still missing from both sides. It is up to us to help where we can to solve these mysteries.

I look forward to your posts in the future once you get back to England and can dig in your notes.

Forty years ago is a long time. I was back in High School then. There is still much I remember. And it is a good thing I don't remember it all!

Bill G.

I am glad to see the the families were notified. That will be a help to them to know what did happen to their loved ones. There are still many that are still missing from both sides. It is up to us to help where we can to solve these mysteries.

I look forward to your posts in the future once you get back to England and can dig in your notes.

Forty years ago is a long time. I was back in High School then. There is still much I remember. And it is a good thing I don't remember it all!

Bill G.

When I return to England I will spend some time researching, it should be possible to find more information on this and the other local crashes.

I also worked on the dig for the Lancaster that crashed at Lane End while
trying to make an emergency landing at Booker I remember the tail wheel
still had 40 psi in the tire when we dug it up and I hope the panel from that is still around somewhere.

I was still in high school when I was involved with the digs so its a wonder that I remember anything from that long ago.

A friend here owns a Cessna 173 so I am still able to fly a little with him
and spend some time around aircraft. The aircraft I dreamt of owning as
a kid has never been for sale (Wallis WA116 G-ARZB :D )

welcome from wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy cross the pond

Which unit did the 410 belong to? KG51?

She was with 16/KG2 and was a Me410A, she was shot down at 12:45am on the 23rd Feb 1944 by Site S7's 3.7in AA guns. She crashed into a hillside via a farmhouse roof. The farmhouse was occuppied by a young Ollie Reed (the actor) and his nanny. The aircraft exploded near Andridge Farm, Radnage, Buckinghamshire. Lt F Muller and Gefr. K H Borowski were killed. Ollie ran up to the crash the next day and was quite traumatised by what he saw. Recovered in 1971.

Attachments

• PICT0678.JPG
    PICT0678.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 60
She was with 16/KG2 and was a Me410A, she was shot down at 12:45am on the 23rd Feb 1944 by Site S7's 3.7in AA guns. She crashed into a hillside via a farmhouse roof. The farmhouse was occuppied by a young Ollie Reed (the actor) and his nanny. The aircraft exploded near Andridge Farm, Radnage, Buckinghamshire. Lt F Muller and Gefr. K H Borowski were killed. Ollie ran up to the crash the next day and was quite traumatised by what he saw. Recovered in 1971.

Tony, I'm glad you have Peter Halliday's notes, if we had to rely on my
memory we would be in sad shape.

I couldn't remember the name of the farm but my guess for the location is attached, the hillside was quite steep and the engine was about 8 feet below the surface, it was dug out with a backhoe and lots of chain, when it was pulled out and resting alongside the hole there was some concern that it may roll down the hill. there is a good chance that my black and white photo's of the engine coming out have survived in England.

The eye witness told us that the RAF removed the other less damaged engine a couple of days after the crash, the AA gunners had claimed one prop
and I remember at least 2 mangled prop blades coming out of the site, they were with your engine at Booker the last time I saw them.

I'll make an effort to give you some additional display material when I return.

Mike

Attachments

• Me 410 Crash Site.kmz.zip
    845 bytes · Views: 56
Mic
Hi Tony

I remember it being at Booker, I was one of the ATC cadets who helped
Peter Halliday and the Chiltern Historical Aircraft Preservation Group on a few of their digs, I camped out at the ME 410 crash site during the dig and collected a few small fragments for myself, I'm sure those fragments and maybe some pictures are at my mothers house in Marlow, when I get back to England I'll be in touch and pass on anything I have. When we pulled that DB603 out of the ground most of the supercharger was there but the magnesium casings turned to dust before our eyes.

I've been wondering what happened to Peters collection and its really great to have found a part of it after all this time, good luck with it and I'll really look forward to seeing this engine again one day.

Mike Oram Dixon NM USA
Mick Oram? Your Dad used to be mayor?

I was in 1811 and on that dig too! 1971.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back