Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No he wasn't!

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No comment.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • This is stupid.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Re Hungary, etc, good points Jimmy.
The Hungarians were the lesser party (but the larger country) of the Austro-Hungarian empire, but try telling them that! I lived for 3 1/2 years in Austria, and have for the last 6 years lived in Hungary. It's a VERY touchy subject on both sides, full of national pride, arrogance and ignorance. The main point is the Austrians were besieged by the Turks, with-held and eventually defeated them, driving them not only out of Austria, but Hungary aswell. The problem was they didn't leave, and annexed hungary as part of Austria. The Hungarians revolted a number of times, and it was decided to recognize the Hungarian Monarchy (creating the dual-Monarchy) to stabilize the Empire.

Croatia was officially a part of Hungary,so from that point of view they did have coastal access. Likewise Slovenia was a part of Austria, aswell as the large port of Trieste, "acquired" by Italy at the end of WW I. hard to believe now the Austrians once had a large Navy!

The Hungarians in the cut-off regions are still despised to this day, although Hungary is the first destination for many people (especially Romanians) seeking a better life (almost a joke considering our wage scale - the minimum weekly wage in Ireland is more than my monthly pay-packet, and as a professional solderer I earn a fairly good wage in comparison to many people)

This is by the by, anyway. I was trying to make the point of conditions in central Europe at the time.

Winston Churchill,

he hated Germany or Germans since the Boer War, refused to take Hitler's hand and share the spoils with him, thus creating the downfall of Germany and Stalin's expansion into half of Europe.

One could see it this way, right???:oops:

Regards
Kruska

Leader of the Hungarian state during the war was Admiral horthy, an officer in a non-existent navy

Churchill was merely following the time honoured British Foreign Policy principal of supporting the second most powerful continental power. If any one power was allowed to dominate, there was a risk to britains domination of Europe. Of course, the brits had by wwii been outflanked by two countries, the US and Japan. British lion was starting to lose its teeth by that stage

No offense I dont think very many people will agree with you. I too would rather have seen the fall of Germany than Europe ruled by Hitler.

Hello D.A.I.G.

Well I do sincerely hope that no one agrees on my forwarded statement, after all this is a forum for discussions right? Not just for expressing ones true opinion.

Regards
Kruska

I know that he was a memeber of a navy in wwi for a country that in wwii no longer existed. Geez!!!!

was there a navy for Hungary in wwii???apart from a few row boats on the Danube, I think its safe to say no

Austria and Hungary were not only seperated but broken up the Allies after WW I, all port access being lost to them in the process, hence no Navy for either of them after that time, with the exception as you say of a number of patrol boats on the Danube and Tisza rivers (These days under control of the army, in both countries )

This was an excellent discussion, and as italian heritage I can understand all the points about the creation of "Hitler" then my grandma came to Argentina in 1937 and she was still at his death 1984 a fervorous defender of the facsist ITALY and of the DUCE - and remember that Italy was one of the victors of WWI.
The years after the WWI wasn´t the best, much more for the "loosers".

And if I´m not wrong G Britain and France make the conditions for the surrender proposed by USA (I guess - Wodrow Wilson) totally dif´rent, submerging Germany, Austria, the balcans, in such a kaos.

So many people are guilty of the born of the "Hitlers" - It is easy to say just they (the germans) were guilty.

So it was good to hear those things here around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back