The ONLY way that "Saving Private Ryan" and "Pearl Harbor" should ever be in the same category is when you list War movies. Otherwise they are miles apart. And that is why SPR is so great. You can bitch about the international cast thats missing or that P-51s weren't ground pounders but SPR was the first of the big Hollywood movies to forgo the patriotic message in almost all American war movies up to that time and stick with reality as best as possible. It clinched it for me when they were about to attack the radar station and Hanks was laying out the attack plan and stated, "When he changes his barrels out, you do this". Knowing that the type of MGs used had interchangable barrels just locked it up for me that Spielberg was trying to get it right! For that and other 'right-on' moments I will allow him some lee-way. Same for "Band of Brothers", "Das Boat" (I agree Chris) and "Stalingrad".
As for cringe movies.......
"Pearl Harbor" - WWII veterans should have rebelled and petioned to have every copy of this film burned. The only good thing about this movie was Kate Beckingsale in a nurse's outfit.
I will say it Paul.... "Flyboys" STUNK!!!! Horrible garbage. BAD CGI. Go watch "Dawn Patrol" or "The Blue Max" instead.
But one movie that I watched religiously as a kid, had to have the DVD, etc and slowly realized how bad it was ....."The Battle of the Bulge". There is almost nothing of historical fact in this movie. Where is the snow? There was no deciding tank battle. Where was the snow. It happened in the heavily wooded Ardennes, not the Kalahari desert. Where was the snow? A colonel who flew recon, was on the front-line, attacking tanks single-handed ??? AND WHERE WAS THE SNOW????? Bad, just bad. And I'm disappointed in myself for liking the movie when I was a kid into my teens.
Off the soap-box...