Hollywood presents WWII. Films that grind your gears. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do have to say this about bad history movies: generally speaking, I want to be entertained so a lot of reality can go out the window as long as the movie is fun. Then there's the recent "Red Baron" movie... I watched it several times because I just couldn't believe how bad it was and wanted to be sure my previous bad impression was in fact the correct one. Sadly, it was. The story of the Red Baron (and a little later Snoopy) was what got me interested in fighter combat when I was around 6 or 7.

Entertaining is one thing. "Inglorious Bastards" and "The Dirty Dozen" come to mind. But to be absolutely lazy about the subject at hand is horrible. :)

As far as I know Sven Hassel's own war record is still shrouded with doubt and speculation and the actual truth behind it is disputed, the pc lynch mobs are certainly out to get him whatever the truth though.
His war record is really irrelevant as he always stated his books were works of fiction not fact

On the plus side (accuracy aside) Memphis Belle has to be one of my favourites.....

Accuracy? Really? There are scenes and lines in that movie that make me gag.

Plane all busted up, target obscured by a cloud, so they go around because there's an orphanage or something like that next to the target. PUULEASE!

Then the line "Up to now, we flew for Uncle Sam. Now we fly for us." I feel my lunch coming up!

Hollywood can not in any way, shape or form, make a proper WWI or WWII movie, end of....
As we all know, they won the BoB!
As SPR, a lot of mistakes in it, bullets do NOT travel well in water, just to mention one!
IIRC, people also complained why all the Italians were killed in that movie...of Italian heritage it should be...

Makes you wonder, with all the research and information on the web, why is it so (censored) difficult, to make a accurrate ture to the stoy, no (censored) lovey-dovey war movie?

His war record is really irrelevant as he always stated his books were works of fiction not fact

Fiction of a sort yes, Hassel was not recounting his memories word for word but his books were said by him to be based on his wartime experiences, the controversy comes from claims that he lied about being at the front.

Accuracy? Really? There are scenes and lines in that movie that make me gag.

Plane all busted up, target obscured by a cloud, so they go around because there's an orphanage or something like that next to the target. PUULEASE!

Then the line "Up to now, we flew for Uncle Sam. Now we fly for us." I feel my lunch coming up!

Howdy,

by accuracy aside I mean exactly what you have pointed out lol I,e it's not accurate.

But as a 14 year old lad and in the absence of any real good modern ww2 aviation films, it smashed it for me.
It did at least in the most part use real aircraft.

Cheers Chris

Makes you wonder, with all the research and information on the web, why is it so (censored) difficult, to make a accurrate ture to the stoy, no (censored) lovey-dovey war movie?

Better yet Jan......How can Trump make the area in front of the pit on there P-51's 6"(?) out of scale with all that info and drawings out there :dontknow:

Yes "We were Soldiers" is a good one never got into "Hambuger Hill" but for a plain story and HW got to like "Apocolypse Now"

I understand that Marine D.I.'s are not allowed to curse any longer.
Dammed, (Oop's), Darned shame.

Do you really believe that ??

My own dad was a Marine DI right before and in early WW2, and then became a preacher later in life.
He would talk much more about his DI days, than his time on Guadacanal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back