Hornet Deck Load for the Doolittle Raid

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
I saw this photo, I do not know if it's real or created. From this photo its hard to imagine the deck load spotting for the take off. Has anyone seen an aerial photo of Hornet with the B-25s spotted ready to take off?

Attachments

• Hornet.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 7
That's the Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco) in the photo. I don't believe that is a real photo.

I saw this photo, I do not know if it's real or created. From this photo its hard to imagine the deck load spotting for the take off. Has anyone seen an aerial photo of Hornet with the B-25s spotted ready to take off?
Plenty of photos of her deck on Navsource.

During the trip to Japan some of her air group found their way to the flight deck at times - F4F forward, SBD aft amongst the B-25. The flight deck was respotted, probably the day before the launch, to move the B-25 as far aft as possible to increase the take off run of the foremost B-25s.

Note that there originally were supposed to be only 15 B-25's on the raid. The 16th was a "spare" that Doolittle demanded to be loaded along with its two pilots after they followed the rest across the country without authorization. They formed a crew with spare personnel and that was the B-25 that diverted to Russia.

Attachments

• 9 NAA-B-25B-Mitchell-USS-Hornet-18-April-1942.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 6
All B-25s had to taxi forward to a certain point at the island, which was the tightest spot on the deck, for takeoff. All B-25s had the same takeoff run.

Was this the sortie where the Hornet nearly hit a tower on the S.F. Bay Bridge which could have caused the whole bridge to collapse?

All B-25s had to taxi forward to a certain point at the island, which was the tightest spot on the deck, for takeoff. All B-25s had the same takeoff run.
But note how they were arranged on deck leaving the USA. Two parallel rows from just aft of the forward lift

To near the stern

This was how they were arranged at time of take off - herring bone fashion as far aft as possible. Note the white lines on deck to guide the take offs clear of the island (lines for nosewheel & port undercarriage) that run back into the range at this time. They extend back beyond the centre lift. This is aircraft 3 or 4 per the caption. Note the outline of the centre lift on the left hand side. The centre lift was located just aft of the island, offset to starboard.

And the last 5 or 6 being lined up on those lines much further aft than aircraft number 3/4 let alone number 1. The white lines end aft of the centre lift.

Doolitte's aircraft, the first to be launched had 467ft of flight deck, out of a total flight deck length of 827ft. As can be seen from the photos, later aircraft would have had a bit longer take-off run.

Last edited:
Its great that people realized how momentous this mission was, and photographed it so well. If only they used color film.

Columbia AAF SC was where the Raiders were before they went to Eglin to train for the mission. The black and white pictures show B-25A's at Columbia. At Lake Greenwood the pilots in training found out that the girls sunning themselves on the dock would stand up, take their tops off, and wave them at airplanes that were buzzing the lake. It was only a matter to time before someone got too low. A B-25 was recovered from that lake in the 1980's and is now the mascot of the local baseball team, The Capital City Bombers. Lake Murray, near Columbia AAF, was used as a bombing range and as many as 25 B-25's crashed there. One was recovered several years back.

Users who are viewing this thread