Horten

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Horten ho-7.jpg
Horten Ho 229 v6.jpg
Horten_VII_3.jpg
View attachment 467615 Love this plane.
ho7.jpg
Horten Ho VII 4.jpg

Last edited:
The Horten Ho229 is now on the display floor at NASM Udvar-Hazy Museum. The aircraft does not have the wings on, but they are on a cradle next to the main fuselage. The aircraft has been 'preserved' to a state so corrosion and deterioration have been suspended. It has been placed next to the He219, itself apart, with fuselage, wing, and engines separate, but all viewable.

Tony

The Horten Ho229 is now on the display floor at NASM Udvar-Hazy Museum. The aircraft does not have the wings on, but they are on a cradle next to the main fuselage. The aircraft has been 'preserved' to a state so corrosion and deterioration have been suspended. It has been placed next to the He219, itself apart, with fuselage, wing, and engines separate, but all viewable.

Tony

It is not next to the He 219, unless they just very recently moved it there. I was just there a few months back, and it was still in the restoration bay.

Next to the He 219 however is the wooden Horton H.III glider without wings, not the Horton 229.

Below are pics I took.

IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4770.JPG

Dear Der Crew Chief,

I've been a volunteer at Udvar-Hazy since it opened and am there multiple times a week. I am attaching a cell phone image and you can see the location, with the tip of He219 wing in the foreground. This was last week when they had just moved it to the spot.

I've had the opportunities to work in the restoration area and have seen and worked on some rare artifacts.

Tony

Attachments

• Ho229.jpg
    Ho229.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 200
Dear Der Crew Chief,

I've been a volunteer at Udvar-Hazy since it opened and am there multiple times a week. I am attaching a cell phone image and you can see the location, with the tip of He219 wing in the foreground. This was last week when they had just moved it to the spot.

I've had the opportunities to work in the restoration area and have seen and worked on some rare artifacts.

Tony

Thank you, I stand corrected. I am glad they have it out on the floor now. Gives me another reason to get back out there to the museum.

I am also jealous that you get to help with the restorations. I would love to get involved with that.

Are the wings put on the 219 now as well?

Thank you, I stand corrected. I am glad they have it out on the floor now. Gives me another reason to get back out there to the museum.

I am also jealous that you get to help with the restorations. I would love to get involved with that.

Are the wings put on the 219 now as well?

The wings are not on the He219 yet. Projects get moved around and I don't know a timeline on that. Another project for the He219 is re-creating a set of radar dipoles for the He219.

Here are 3 more images of the Ho229 on the floor of Udvar-Hazy. I was surprised to learn that the nose gear is a tail wheel assembly of an He177, and the main gear are modified components of the Bf109.

Tony

Attachments

• Ho229_Floor1.jpg
    Ho229_Floor1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Ho229_Floor2.jpg
    Ho229_Floor2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Ho229_Floor3.jpg
    Ho229_Floor3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 289

Users who are viewing this thread