Horten

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Post #79 is the Ho.VII, powered by two Argus As-10 engines.

Only one built in 1943, it was captured in Oranienburg March 1945.

image.jpg

Yes, the H VII V-1.

Two 236 hp Argus As10SC engines and a crew of two.

I always found the odd double 'nose' wheels strange, but apparently they took more than half the aircraft's weight.

Cheers

Steve

Can someone change the thread title to correct the spelling, so it doesn't read like a Dr Seuss book, please? :D

A Horten designed glider, the Urubu:

34299707262_99501ef322_b.jpg
Urubu

From here: Museo Nacional Aeronautica

After the war, Reimar Horten emigrated to Argentina and built some of the flying wings he first proposed to the Nazis. Take a look at this page, it has a few errors, but also has fabulous photos of an aircraft he had built and had proposed to the British after the war, who were less than interested, which prompted his turning to Argentina. The aircraft was nicknamed the "Naranjero"; the author of the piece has chosen to call it the Orangeman, naranja being orange in Spanish, but the name Naranjero was applied to the aircraft because the aircraft was used to carry oranges!

Reimar Horten In Argentina - Machtres Fighters

Reading from Wiki the brothers went their separate ways after the war. Was their a rift between them?
Thread drift - but I read where Walter Horten may have had some input into the unusual Putzer SR.57 Bussard in West Germany. He definitely flew it. Engine in the nose - 6 metre shaft to the pusher prop....

Puetzer01.jpg

gentlemen, if I remember correctly The Jet Powered Horten 229 ( flying wing ) first flew December 1944 .. January 1945 it flew again but unfortunately crashed because the jet engines quit .. the pilot was as you know was killed .. I was at a military reunion more than ten years ago with my dad in Washington and went to Silver Springs Maryland. I happened to be wearing a Harley Davidson T shirt at the time, the shop foreman noticed it and commented that he used to race Harleys. I asked to see the Horten in storage and he told a docent to take me to the building it was stored in. there it was sitting on three wheels and the wings were off leaning against the wall next to it. I was shocked .. I walked around it and I can honestly say I touched the tail, sounds silly I know but I will never have another chance. walking back to the main building the docent asked me who I was. the docent also commented that he thought the Horten was a glider, I replied "no, it was powered by jet engines". at the military reunion there was a nice dinner, the man sitting next to me was wearing a civilian suit and looked normal, I never saw him before .. I was sitting next to Retired General Cardenas the highest ranking Hispanic American of all time. nice man .. my dad was sitting across the table from me and asked me after the dinner if I knew who the man was, my dad thought the situation was humerous, at least I behaved myself. General Cardenas flew the Northrop prototype Wings .. If I had only know I would have had soo many questions .. he was a nice man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back