How Do You Handle White?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. Ed

Airman 1st Class
Oct 27, 2009
The underside of the F4F Wildcat I'm building is going to be a very light grey, really an off-white. I'm intimidated by this because the last time I painted white on a model - back when I was an armor modeler - the results were a disaster. The color defeated me. How should I go about painting and weathering this?

Whether brushing or spraying, don't try to get an even, smooth coverage in one go. Ensure the model is clean, and free from any staining from paint, glue etc, then apply one, thin coat, as smooth and as evenly as possible. Let this dry for at least 12 hours, and then repeat, both of these using matt paint. Again, once dry, apply two, or more, coats of gloss white, as before. Once dry, this can then be clear-coated in matt, semi-matt or whatever as/if required.
This is a way of applying those paints which are not easy, or don't cover to full opacity, such as white, yellow and red.
If spraying, then you can probably/possibly dispense with the gloss coat(s) as long as you ensure that the colour is built-up with thin, even coats, allowing each to dry thoroughly before applying the next.

Terry nailed it. The trick is to build up the white slowly. Thin even coats. If you are spraying with Acrylics however, the drying time is so quick that you can build up to full opacity in one sitting. Just keep the coats thin and even. Don't overspray and avoid runs in the paint.

I'll defer to others on brush painting white (or yellow for that matter either) - I could NEVER get it to cover the way I wanted. And the weathering as well.

This same method works for painting cars, real ones, as well. Rather than trying to cover with the first coat, spray an even light overall coat. Let this one partially dry, then a nice even cover coat. Most of the time you can get away with this to "finish". This is of course Acrylic Enamels. If you try and full cover in one coat it leads to runs, sags, especially if you try and go Over this before it drys fully. Another tip is to do the edges, and recesses FIRST, lightly, then to cover the whole panel. Like do the leading edge from the front as the air would hit it in flight. Then the trailing edge, then the valley of the wing root. LIGHTLY. Let this tac up a bit. Then all over to finish dark colors. Light colors are more delicate, like Terry says, above. I think you will find much better results and less stress when painting. This is for air brushing!

I learned to paint translucent colors on clear acrylic sign faces with laquer paints. A method for candy colors too. A light source behind the panel, thin the paint so it is water like. Horizontal strokes the length of the panel from about two feet, full mist, you will see NO color with this first go, but it sets up the tac coat for the next to adhere to. Wipe clean with a damp cloth to get rid of overs pray powder, lightly. Then vertical strokes the same way, wipe, repeat horizontal, repeat vertical. Until the desired density of color is reached, then clear coat to seal. Simple! No sweat. cheers, Bill

Thanks guys. Next I'll have to figure out how to weather it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back