How each fighter reflected each nation's unique culture....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chiron

Airman 1st Class
Feb 17, 2005
For example, Japanese Zero and other fighters gave a real distinct feeling of smallness (Japanese love to shrink stuffs....) .

And my favourite Spitfire.....mm.........couldnt think how it associtated with British culture, but, in my opinon, its very beautiful, almost like Ferrari of automobile. I guess Spitfire is the Ferrari of fighters; combination of both beauty and engineering.

American planes: big, heavy, and durable: P-47, Hellcat, B-29, ...

"I guess Spitfire is the Ferrari of fighters; combination of both beauty and engineering. "

Except that Ferrari is Italian and the Italian Series 5 fighters already own that title.

Macchi Mc-205 Veltro
mc205-c1.jpg

Perhaps the Spifire can be the Bangers and Mash of fighters. :lol:

Well, the Spitfire could be the Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mclaren or TVR of fighters.

Or it could be the Ford GT40 since it was a British design team that designed the GT40. And with that "...it's the Ford that beat the Ferarri..."

:lol: But it still took 2 or 3 years to perfect... ;)

Well if it was the TVR, It would have secret messages on the bodywork, breakdown all the time, and the staff would cook pizzas in the ovens that they heat the fibreglass moulds with :lol:

We'll delete TVR from that list. It took a few years to perfect the GT40 and the Spitfire, I think it's a good comparison.

And I used to like the Cerberra, as well. :(

True. I only really like the Cerberra, the Griffith and the others look ugly to me.

So wich part of the Soviet culture does the Lavochkin series belong to ?; "They talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk" ? :lol: ;)

plan_D said:
Or it could be the Ford GT40 since it was a British design team that designed the GT40. And with that "...it's the Ford that beat the Ferarri..."

Actually I can't see that, by the time the GT40 Mark 2s were there they were typicly american heavy with a huge engine with lots of torque and 500hp more like a P-38. The Mirages were lighter with 5 liter engines more like the P-51s. The Spitfire to me is lighter yet maybe like the Jags. and Aston-Martens, more of a knife fighter?

wmaxt

The Ford GT40 was designed by the British section of Ford. It was really a joke because of the comment made about the Mc.205 being a Ferrari. I think it could still be similar to the Griffon-engined Spitfires. Sleek and well-hung...I...uh...mean, a lot of power.

British and "well hung" are oxymorons. Now Italian and "well hung" ... :)

At the point in time when the Italians exited the war in September of 1943, the Spitfire was inferior to the Regianne Re-2005, Fiat G.55 and probably the Macchi Mc-205 too although the latter is debateable. These were indeed the Ferrari's of the air both in looks and performance.

Don't fret though, the Spitfire will always be the "fish and chips" of the fighter world. :lol:

How would you know about the British package, Davidicus? A keen examiner of men's jewels?

The Spitfire Mk.XIV was better than them all. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back