How Europe Went to War in 1914

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think we were discussing the origins of ww1.

One remark I think I read a while back fron DonL was that he thought the reclamation of the German Empire in 1871 was not one of the causes of ww1, or something to that effect. I cannot find it, but it is in this thread somewhere.

My answer to that is that the the fact that Wilhelm I was crowned in the Hall of Mirrors in Versailles, of all places. This is of course an insult in the eyes of every proud Frenchman, which doesn't help to lessen the tention that was already there. Although not a direct cause, it certainly helped on the road to WWI.
And isn't it funny, Marcel, how, just a century before, Versailles, which was built so the French aristocracy didn't have to live among the Parisians, embodied everything the average Frenchman thought was wrong with France?

ill give you this...Versaille is both one of the most grand, and yet, for that very reason, and given the situation of the french people when it was built, one of the most offensive buildings in history

"....Lord Salisbury, prime minister of England for 13 years, freely expressed a superior man's aversions to various races. He considered foreigners more selfish and less reliable than the British. "

Context for British "dumbness" in stumbling over the precipice, perhaps, redcoat. Perhaps if he had been PM in 1914 Britain might have "passed" on saving Belgium. He would have been the smartest man in EUROPE if that had been the case.

so, ratting out on your friends and letting bullies have their way is smart thinking. Sorry, things must be different in canada . Australians dont think that way, we give our word, however disingenuously and we keep it. Giving those sorts of promises should not be given lightly, but when given, need to be honoured.

Whatever the cost, sometimes nations have to stand up and be counted. sure, British asistance to Belgium might be a "contrived reason" for fighting the germans, but it was a well stated, long standing undertaking given by Britain since 1840.

"... ratting out on your friends and letting bullies have their way is smart thinking"

Your words, not mine, parsifal. Please read this:

... the ministers in H. H. Asquith's cabinet — including Winston Churchill — had repeatedly expressed the view that Britain would not necessarily regard a German transit through Belgium as a casus belli ...

Christopher Clark: The Great Belgian blunder | National Post

Last edited:
I apologise Micahel, my language was not exactly diplomatic.

I'll have a read of your article and edit this post accordingly.

Edit

Read it. It makes some very valid points, but i doubt the Brits would view any violation of Belgian neutrality sympathetically. Basic British policy was to contain Germany, because if Germany got to dominate Europe, they would presenbt an uncontrollanle threat to Britsh power and security. From Britains perspective they wanted to maintain the delicvate balance of power, and they thought the best way to do that was to back the second most powerful military power in Europe, against the most powerful.

That the whole thing unravalled and resulted in a bloodbath was inevitable, but that wasnt apparent at the time. And has nothing to do with the rightness or wrongness of defensing a neutral against german aggression. Britain had decided to protect the neutrality of Belgium for reasons of self interest. Germany decided to try their luck in that regard, which result in war between Britain and Germany. If Germany had left Belgium alone, it would have been much harder for Britiain to get into the war, and not look or be the aggressor

Last edited:
"...a bloodbath was inevitable, but that wasnt apparent at the time .."

I don't know, parsifal, I think the US Civil War made that kind of bloodbath pretty clear to military observers and the reading public. The Prussians sure observed closely and used lessons in the F-P war.

At any rate, the Great War is getting close and devoted attention as its 100th birthday arrives ..... something we both should appreciate .... :)

Chairs,

MM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back