How good were Dunkerque Class?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nothing to add to delcros' thoughts. However, I would like to point how careful we should be about Wiki "facts". This isn't your fault Vinnye, but don't put too much into the Wiki account about N. Cape. For example this Wiki quote:

At around 18:00, another 14 in shell struck the ship on the starboard side, passed through the thin upper belt armor, and exploded in the number 1 boiler room. ...

This is only an unproven theory. There is far more evidence against this theory than there is to support it. The most likely cause of the loss of speed is a mechanical break down. The chronology of the Wiki account is all over the place too.

Well I will add some to Delcroys' points if I may? Another factor of the Scharnhorst's deck protection vs the French shells is fusing. At angle of fall of less than 30* the French shell will likely explode before it reaches the main armoured deck, if its not a dud.

Don't forget that the Dunkerque class were 26,500 tons standard, while the Scharnhorst class were 32,000, although initially declared as 26,000. That extra tonnage can buy you an awful lot of armour...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back