how powerful

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fly boy

Staff Sergeant
Jan 16, 2008
how good where rockets aganist say tigers panthers panzers etc, i know a 100 pound bomb can realy take one out but what about the HAVAR ( i hope i spelled that right) and other 5inch types how good are they?

1st, its HVAR, not HAVAR.
2nd, they were not efficient to take on the tanks other AFVs directly, since the accuracy was pathetic (about 1 out of 20-50 projectiles would actually manage to hit a tank, while aircraft cannons were 10-fold more accurate).
BUT (and a big 'but'), since tanks have a large logistical footprint, the destroying of fuel ammo trucks, repair shops etc. would've render tanks almost immobile.
One other thing is that tank crews under constant threat from air would've been buttoned-up almost always, furthermore hampering their performance.

I believe that the number of tanks taken out by either side in WW2 by aircraft is much less than the claims. It had to be really difficult to get in a good lick on a tank from an airplane

Well as always claims usually superceed actuall kills/ losses, but the German panzers did suffer terribly at the hands of Allied fighter bombers. You'll also see in most footage from around the Normandy area how the Germans awlays seem to be spotting after a/c in the air, as this was a constant and very dangerous threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back