how powerful

Discussion in 'WW2 General' started by fly boy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. fly boy

fly boy Member

how good where rockets aganist say tigers panthers panzers etc, i know a 100 pound bomb can realy take one out but what about the HAVAR ( i hope i spelled that right) and other 5inch types how good are they?

2. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    VERY effective, they could easily blow a turret off of a Tiger and in some cases knock one on its back.

3. tomo pauk

tomo pauk Creator of Interesting Threads

1st, its HVAR, not HAVAR.
    2nd, they were not efficient to take on the tanks other AFVs directly, since the accuracy was pathetic (about 1 out of 20-50 projectiles would actually manage to hit a tank, while aircraft cannons were 10-fold more accurate).
    BUT (and a big 'but'), since tanks have a large logistical footprint, the destroying of fuel ammo trucks, repair shops etc. would've render tanks almost immobile.
    One other thing is that tank crews under constant threat from air would've been buttoned-up almost always, furthermore hampering their performance.

4. renrich

renrich Active Member

real estate
    I believe that the number of tanks taken out by either side in WW2 by aircraft is much less than the claims. It had to be really difficult to get in a good lick on a tank from an airplane

5. Soren

Soren Banned

Well as always claims usually superceed actuall kills/ losses, but the German panzers did suffer terribly at the hands of Allied fighter bombers. You'll also see in most footage from around the Normandy area how the Germans awlays seem to be spotting after a/c in the air, as this was a constant and very dangerous threat.