How The U.S. Air Force’s Fork-Tailed P-38 Lightning Became Most Feared Aircraft Of World War II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pel-Air Express often used our hangar for maintenance work in the olden days, I always liked the nickname for their Fairchild Metro lll aircraft "The DEATH PENCIL"
View attachment 696624

Not to be used when near passengers.

I remember these were about the noisiest aircraft we had near our hangar, I was surprised that all that noise came out of such a tiny engine, OK I know it was mostly the props..... but still!

View attachment 696625

View attachment 696623
San Antonio Sewer Pipe. I have about a 1000 hours in one of those damn things...

Pel-Air Express often used our hangar for maintenance work in the olden days, I always liked the nickname for their Fairchild Metro lll aircraft "The DEATH PENCIL"
View attachment 696624

Not to be used when near passengers.

I remember these were about the noisiest aircraft we had near our hangar, I was surprised that all that noise came out of such a tiny engine, OK I know it was mostly the props..... but still!

View attachment 696625

View attachment 696623
With the engine out, did the tail have to be supported?

I understand the Metro, in whatever version you want, was a very high pilot load ... I've heard the pilot load was high, but no reason as to what made it more of a pilot load than any other turboprop, say a Beech 99 or something similar. How about a SAAB 340? What makes The Death Pencil stand out as a thing to avoid?

Care to comment, BiffF15?

I understand the Metro, in whatever version you want, was a very high pilot load ... I've heard the pilot load was high, but no reason as to what made it more of a pilot load than any other turboprop, say a Beech 99 or something similar. How about a SAAB 340? What makes The Death Pencil stand out as a thing to avoid?

Care to comment, BiffF15?
Greg,

The only other turbo prop I've flown is the Bronco. It was easy to fly but had no single engine takeoff capability. The Metro was tough engine out as it required almost full aileron into the good engine, lots of trimming, and a poor layout of avionics and switches (at least in USAF configuration) and poor performance. Both engines running it trimmed up fairly well, but was heavy / sluggish in roll if I remember correctly.

The autopilot controls for the left seater were in the center stack, while the right seaters stuff was to his right. It makes setting headings/ running the avionics tough engine out if the copilot is flying. Also there were a few bus transfer switches behind the copilots right elbow, or not located in a normal center overhead position so one guy can watch the other for safety / redundancy. Some freight operators run it single seat. Poor cockpit ergonomics.

They have a large freight door on the aft fuselage. It won't close sometimes, which required one guy to push up on the tail while another closed the door. I sh!t you not. When I took it off station I didn't let anyone use the cargo door as it was the weakest link in the system and would strand us all too often. No one ever complained even though it required forming a human chain to get the gear through the front door, down that skinny little tube to the back. My boss liked that damn door but he didn't mind an extra night out…

The guys I knew that flew both it and the King Air liked the latter much better.

Of all the planes I've flown it was my least favorite.

Cheers,
Biff

They have a large freight door on the aft fuselage. It won't close sometimes, which required one guy to push up on the tail while another closed the door. I sh!t you not
Metroliner cargo doors are a structural element. As in, it needs to be closed or else the tail stand needs to be installed. Just don't let the stand touch the ground BEFORE loading, or else you wont be able to remove it after.

Edit: You can bend the aircraft if you jack it without closing the big cargo door

Last edited:
Marine pilots called PTO P-38 pilots "high altitude fox-holes" due to their reluctance to come down protecting their bombers.

Marine pilots called PTO P-38 pilots "high altitude fox-holes" due to their reluctance to come down protecting their bombers.

That's a shame, because those PTO P-38 pilots (two of whom combined for 78 kills by themselves, another fourteen of whom shot down Yamamoto and consorts in an unprecedented mission) were clearly not afraid of a scrap.

There's little room for casting aspersions and invidious comparisons when we're all fighting on the same side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back