How to disassemble your Mosquito NZ style

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Better book your spot now Buff - I'd wager every aviation enthusiast who can get there, will get there!
Hasn't been a Mossie airborne in the 'States since Kermit Weeks' ex-Strahallan B35 got damaged in that storm, I think more than 20 years ago now. And since the BAe TIII was tragically lost, this new one is the only flying example in the world at present. If I had the funds, and the mobility, I'd love to be there myself to see her perform.

Apparently it is meant to be flying at an airshow in May. I'm not sure exactly which show, you guys would probably have a better idea of what is happening in the area than I do.

Its apparently at the Fighter Factory now for reassembly:
892673_558289574204480_366272757_o resized.jpg

That photo is from Avspecs facebook site. They also have an image from a webcam. Does anyone know if its accessible, and if so, how?

I hope they didnt lose the instructions or that bag of small bits that always went missing out of a model aircraft kit.

Damn.
I'm visiting NZ at the end of the month, I was hoping to get to see this one.
Ah well, the USA's good fortune is my loss I guess.

(I'm hoping to take in both islands so any pointers places of interest I should visit gratefully received guys)

Drop into Nelson, see if you can wangle a [static] go in the Smith ex-RNZAF Mk6 Mosquito, I did - but 'bout a decade ago [ he was getting on a bit even then], but the Mossie is a beaut, gave you respect for the WW2 flyers, seemingly not much survivability with those props whirling right where you hop out[if you can get out]..

I have never seen a Mossie fly. What would I give to hear 2 Merlins at full chat?
Oh well, there's always You Tube...:cry:

For those who can go.
Enjoy

Cheers
John

Ah, but it's pre-painted, and part assembled! Just a case of 'locate and fix part A to Part B......' , the world's biggest aircraft kit!
BTW, bailing out apparently wasn't that difficult. I asked the question of a former Mosquito pilot, and also when I got to sit in the now sadly lost BAe TIII. The hatch is well behind the props, and the nacelles far enough away to miss when diving out head first. In theory, even allowing for cumbersome flying clothing, parachute harness and either chest pack or seat-type parachute, once the door has been jettisoned, a 'dive' exit is easier than a 'normal' exit on the ground. That said, I wouldn't like to have to try it!

Just the story behind this is fantastic and there's still a lot of work to be done. They get this old bucket up in the sky it's going to be the culmination of all those dreams along the way. It's just going to be a mind-boggling moment!

Have you seen the videos of her airborne in NZ? Just beautiful!
I've been fortunate enough to see two Mossies flying in the UK in years past - the BAe TIII mentioned above, and the TT-35 (former B35) now (no longer airworthy) with Kermit Weeks, and also had the pleasure of working closely with the TIII, on the ground, at air shows. To see, and hear, this beautiful bird whine low across a grass airfield, and then pull up, is just mind blowing!

Oh my, I hadn't even thought they tested her there. I wasn't thinking. I know I hadn't looked into the thread that much until recently as I'm not that familiar with the aircraft. I know a spectacular achievement when I see it, though. And this is it!

Hey All,

I found this forum today and was very impressed. I was motivated to join when I saw this thread and felt I had to add my pics that I took during my Dec visit to NZ. I managed to find her before she was shipped off to my former hangout, the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA.

Thanks for the great conversation and I hope to be here a lot.
2012-12-02_10-53-29_219.jpg
2012-12-02_11-02-45_163.jpg
2012-12-02_11-10-21_575.jpg
2012-12-02_11-36-34_115.jpg

Good write-up. A British newspaper would have probably got it all wrong, with wooden engines, ten seats and a speed of Mach 1+ !!
Welcome to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back