Hunting and rifles.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Just a question for fun here...
I imagine that there's a few here that likes a bit of hunting on here....
Would a WWI/WWII rifle, with suitable (for them) optics be useful for hunting, if so....which would you rifle would pick?

Happy hunting! ;)

Used to use a 1943.303 with the stock cut down for deer. It only had a peep sight and I could hit a whiskey bottle at 100yds. I have no idea how the bottle got there.......really.

Geo

A WW2 rifle - which still has a good barrel, or has been rebarreled - would be a great hunting tool.

Mounting optics on them isn't simple, it's a gunsmithing job really. There are ' no gunsmithing ' scope mounts which can be fitted, but all the ones I have seen are pretty poor design and\or quality. Period scopes are not good compared to modern optics and horribly expensive, you would have to be a real fanatic to fit one.

I think I would pick a US 1903 Springfield, mainly because I have already owned Mausers and Enfields but not an M1903. The .30-06 round is a common hunting calibre, so soft point bullets are easily available.

For very long range hunting ( varminting ) then can I cheat and have my old L42A1 back please ? even if it is post WW2 it was built on an Enfield action... :)

There's been a ton of sporterized Mausers out there,it has a very strong ,reliable action. They are easily customized by putting a new barrel,better trigger and aftermarket stock on it, My choice is the Mauser.

How about this Enfield No. 4 MKI (T) bolt action with sniper scope? Useful? Dependable?

14553522_1_zpslopnfbl7.jpg

For a halfway original No.4 T Enfield, and a MK32 scope you would pay a LOT of money :)

It will be very dependable but ultimate accuracy depends on the skill of the armourer who 'beds' the woodwork to the metal. Otherwise changes to the shape of the wood due to varying climatic conditions will move the point of impact of the bullet. This is an issue with all wooden full stocked sniper or precision rifles.

The action is as strong as a Mauser in practice ( although maybe not in theory ) and is faster to operate once you get the hang of it.
The original scopes are internally complex, fragile and awkward to zero. The optics aren't bad, but definitely 'of their time'

If you get one, I volunteer to be your armourer :D

How about this Enfield No. 4 MKI (T) bolt action with sniper scope? Useful? Dependable?

14553522_1_zpslopnfbl7.jpg

Don't forget heavy! I would hate to lug that around for any length of time in the hunting woods. That's why you see so many of them with cut down/sporterized wood stocks.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that many of the WW II rifles would work and work well from an accuracy/power stand point. However with the price of the decent condition ones going up much faster than the price of new rifles they are no longer a "cheap" alternative. And if you drill any holes in one to mount mount a scope or different rear sight you ruin the collector value. One many of the Mausers you have to get the bolt handle bent to clear a scope. Throw in that withoutscope they are heavier than a normal hunting rifle with scope and even a trip/fall can scratch/damage the stock reducing value and the 'practical' aspect of using one diminishes rather fast.

Most any of them except the Italian and Japanese 6.5s are suitable of anything up to moose or elk ( and those depend on range) but taking a $300-500 military rifle and converting (spending $100-200) to take a scope doesn't save any money.

You may be able to find one that is already converted (or buggered up) cheap though. It depends on how much work was done and how well.

I have the family's 7X57 Mauser for hunting.

It's in original issue condition (no modifications like scope, shortened barrel, modified stock), shows signs of being through violent conflicts and has been on countless hunts over the years. It's over 100 years old and still can drive a nail at a great distance. It is my preferred hunting partner and has never failed me.

While it may be considered heavy to some folks, try lugging a .300 Savage around for a while...lol

I go the 1903 Springfield myself .The first time I took mine out to site her in I landed three rounds in a thumbnail size region off a bench @100yds open sites.The second reason to acquire a 1903 is that it already has a trigger job from the factory or mine is special which I do not think it is it has about 3lb pull!Now if you plan on shooting 200yds on out then I can see the scope issue but most of the hunting down S here is done 75-200 I hear so why a scope?Unless you are unsure about what you are shooting at in that case you shouldn't be pointing the gun.One like this just sold on Gunbroker for $1275 it's a new production I think?

Attachments

• sniper.jpg
    sniper.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 184
Now if you plan on shooting 200yds on out then I can see the scope issue but most of the hunting down S here is done 75-200 I hear so why a scope?Unless you are unsure about what you are shooting at in that case you shouldn't be pointing the gun.

I can see the target pretty well (with glasses) but with old eyes you don't see the rear sights mounted on barrels very well, those little notches get pretty fuzzy (even posts on short barrels are fuzzy). Trying to get the bi-focals so the reading part is on the rear sight and the distance part on the front sight/target doesn't work very well. :)

Most people use too big a scope, (too high power) but the scope makes the aiming mark ( whatever reticule the maker uses) and the target in the same focal plane. even a 2-3X power scope can be a big advantage (if you can find one).

I can see the target pretty well (with glasses) but with old eyes you don't see the rear sights mounted on barrels very well, those little notches get pretty fuzzy (even posts on short barrels are fuzzy). Trying to get the bi-focals so the reading part is on the rear sight and the distance part on the front sight/target doesn't work very well. :)

Most people use too big a scope, (too high power) but the scope makes the aiming mark ( whatever reticule the maker uses) and the target in the same focal plane. even a 2-3X power scope can be a big advantage (if you can find one).

Yeah that is one area that has not failed me yet(hearing another story) at 53 my eye doctor said I still have pretty good vision and the glass prescription from when I was 25 is still valid and do not ever wear them except for 200yd/out.

No one has mentioned the Nagant yet. I looked at a few which were 'arsenal refurbished' and I have to say they gave the impression that they had been manufactured yesterday rather than in the 1940's
What they shot like however is anyones guess...and you could also say they lacked character, being refinished.
Very,very cheap ( I was a gun dealer, so I got trade price which helped even more ) but I never really warmed to them. I really should have bought one just for giggles.

Oh I was going to but like you never warmed up to them.I had one for a couple of years maybe maybe put twenty rounds through it and it became a closet drag queen.I sold it about a year and a half ago at a 200+% profit the guy really wanted it :dontknow: If I p/u another one I might go this route Russian 1891/30 PU 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle maybe.I would really like to get a hold of an SVT-40 passed up a great opportunity about 5 years ago on one no import stamp and looked like original finish funds have been tight for awhile.

Attachments

• f3mosin9130puX.jpg
    f3mosin9130puX.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 148

Users who are viewing this thread

Back