Hurricane crash lands at North Weald (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wanna bet?

Any sudden stoppage has great potential to destroy an engine and it doesn't matter if you're swinging a metal or wood prop.. I've seen propellers stike plastic buckets and cause run out damage to to the crankshaft and prop hub.

Just repeating what I've been taught. That Spitfires and Hurricanes used wooden props that would break away to reduce damage to the engine. Though I do understand a sudden stop is a sudden stop that would cause damage.

Just repeating what I've been taught. That Spitfires and Hurricanes used wooden props that would break away to reduce damage to the engine. Though I do understand a sudden stop is a sudden stop that would cause damage.
Many folks would have "minor" prop strikes and continue to fly the aircraft after a new prop was installed. Many times they'd learn the errors of their ways at the most inconvenient time. Sometimes one might get away with no internal damage to the engine and press on as business as usual, but let's face it, would you want to gamble with something like that?

A wood prop would probably offer less mass during a strike but even the most hardened metals will fail with the right amount of force put on them.

When its surface bends and scratches it's a no problem fix, when it's structual then it gets to be expensive. The doors are not a problem to fix, if the struts are bent back then it is more of a problem, if the motor mount and any of the internals in the engine are damaged then you can bet it won't be re-ready for a while. Appearing looks show it to be a metal prop so I wouldn't rule out the internal damage, might have gone easier with a wooden prop, then again I'm not a AE mechanic.

how many times is this going to happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back