Hurricane crash lands at North Weald

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
A unique £1.5million World War Two fighter plane crash-landed today just weeks after its owner completed a three-and-a-half-year restoration.
The Hawker Hurricane MK IIB - nicknamed the 'Hurribomber' - ended up on its nose after the undercarriage locked on touchdown.
Its pilot was unhurt in the crash. The extent of the damage to the plane - the only one of its kind still flying - is not yet known.
But at the very least, it is going to need a new propellor.

more: Only surviving WWII Hurricane crash-lands... six weeks after its £1.5million three-and-a-half year restoration is completed | Mail Online

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 163
Still under power when the nose went in
shock-loading to the engine could be an issue

I can only imagine the language he was using as he sat there with his nose on the cement. Probably turned the air blue around him. Especially after a 3.5 year rebuild.

wait, ONLY surviving? I believe I've seen several Hurricanes from WWII that were restored.

such a shame to see that happen to a beautiful aircraft tho :(+

wait, ONLY surviving? I believe I've seen several Hurricanes from WWII that were restored.

such a shame to see that happen to a beautiful aircraft tho :(+

They probably mean of that mark. Or maybe there's more to it than we know.

Anyway, I hope it's not too bad. Also, anyone know how much more a wooden prop would cost? I know they used them in the past so that when something like this happened, it wouldn't destroy the engine. Well, at least not as much as a metal one.

oh, i see.

I also see a little bit of damage to the langing gear. not the wheels, but the covers. if you look closely, you can see part of them were bent upon the crash.

I also see a little bit of damage to the langing gear. not the wheels, but the covers...
Yes
but how little is a little bit of damage? The landing gear wasn't designed to be loaded that way, there may be implications further up the landing gear struts

Yes, Colin's right, there could well be stress damage at the retraction joints.
As for the prop, the use of metal/wood depends on a number of areas, including its suitability for the torque/power of the engine, and, of course availability. It may well be that the prop has come from, or will be repaired or rebuilt, in Germany, as are those for the BBMF aircraft.
Rob, this particular Hurricane is the only surviving airworthy Hurricane IIB, nicknamed the 'Hurribomber', as they were used for fighter-bomber operations; there are other Marks still around, but not many compared to, for example, Spitfires.

in the past so that when something like this happened, it wouldn't destroy the engine. Well, at least not as much as a metal one.
Wanna bet?

Any sudden stoppage has great potential to destroy an engine and it doesn't matter if you're swinging a metal or wood prop.. I've seen propellers stike plastic buckets and cause run out damage to to the crankshaft and prop hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back