Hurricane Mk1, 1/32nd Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy.
The ruder trim tab has small 'blobs' representing the mass balances, but I'll attempt to make some, at the end of the build.. Took some photos of various parts of Hurricanes, just for use with this build, and have pics of the mass balances.

Forward planning pays !

Having decided to build and fit the cockpit before constructing the scratch-built wheel bays, I checked the parts, and where they will align inside the fuselage, which revealed a small problem.
Due to that stupid mistake in cutting the port side of the nose in the wrong place, resulting in a reinforced internal joint across the gap , this will slightly foul the forward, resin bulkhead. Therefore, a notch will need to be very carefully cut in the bulkhead, and a small section of the edge will need to be trimmed back, to allow the part to fit over the reinforcing strips. The resin bulkhead is thin, and there's not much room for error, due to the locating sockets for the cockpit side frame, so care will be needed when doing that job.
Fortunately, the area in question will be hidden from view, so the notch will not be seen once everything is assembled.
Also, the top edge of the rear bulkhead frame will probably need a little modification, to allow it to fit neatly with the armour plate at the front of the 'dog kennel'.
I'll tackle this in stages, in between sessions on the Spitfire, and post pics of the relevant parts at that time.

I've removed the small blobs on the trim tab, and drilled a small hole all the way through. The intention is to probably use fuse wire, inserted through the hole, with a blob of PVA on each end to simulate the weights. Don't know if I'll be able to simulate the diagonal braces, or the actuating wires though, but we'll see.
Made a start on the resin cockpit, to check fit and clearance. The lower section is quite fiddly, with the frame, control column linkage, heel boards and rudder pedals, and the control column itself. Being resin, they have to be attached using CA, and fiddling the parts into place with one hand, trying to apply CA with the other, whilst holding the lot with a non-existent third hand is hard work !!
Also trimmed a bit off the front bulkhead, and cut a notch to clear the fuselage joint reinforcing.

Thanks again, it's appreciated.
I'll get back to this soon, after progressing with the Spitfire in the GB. There's some fiddly work ahead, so I need to have the time to sit down and get on with it.
The Revell decal sheet with this issue of the kit includes some placards etc for the cockpit, which can be used on the resin parts, plus a couple of small, scratch-built instrument panels for the side frames, and between the heel boards, the latter being the brake pressure gauge. Consequently, I need to think about, and plan the assembly of the resin parts accordingly, hence the fiddly bits.

Users who are viewing this thread