ID neede

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To be honest I have already seen a such plane somewhere in the past. But where ... I can't remind myself.

Sorry for my absence, I spent most of last week in the hospital. This is the original picture. It was taken at Rosecrans Airport, St Joseph, MO. NO AIRSHIP barn in background, a simple hay barn of the type seen all over these parts. The woman who posted this on a St Joe Facebook page states that it was taken in front of her grandparents barn.

Attachments

• Rosecrans 2.jpg
    Rosecrans 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 51
Sorry for my absence, I spent most of last week in the hospital. This is the original picture. It was taken at Rosecrans Airport, St Joseph, MO. NO AIRSHIP barn in background, a simple hay barn of the type seen all over these parts. The woman who posted this on a St Joe Facebook page states that it was taken in front of her grandparents barn.
Ok, makes sense, some of those barns were quite large and known to have advertising painted on them.

Keeping the look at the pic I'm getting the impression that's someting like a modified/developed Lincoln Standard L.S.5. Please note the characteristic single exhaust pipe. Also the shape of the rudder would fit.

Lincoln-Standard 1923.jpg

Keeping the look at the pic I'm getting the impression that's someting like a modified/developed Lincoln Standard L.S.5. Please note the characteristic single exhaust pipe. Also the shape of the rudder would fit.

View attachment 642674
I agree, If they stretched the lower wing to equal top it would account for the third bay. Enclosing the passenger cockpit would be a natural upgrade as well. I have found newspaper articles stating that a local air service flew several Lincoln Standard 'Coach' models, I can find no reference to this model. I'll post them soon, still going through a few more. articles.

Here is something to consider:
Many aircraft companies post-war, were based in the Midwest, Nebraska in particular.

Here's a fantastic artical that may help, which covers the Nebraska aircraft company, Lincoln Aircraft Company, Standard and Ryan and the evolution of the military surplus aircraft into passenger carriers.
San Diego Air & Space Museum - Balboa Park, San Diego

I agree, If they stretched the lower wing to equal top it would account for the third bay. Enclosing the passenger cockpit would be a natural upgrade as well. I have found newspaper articles stating that a local air service flew several Lincoln Standard 'Coach' models, I can find no reference to this model. I'll post them soon, still going through a few more. articles.

Exactly ... I have thought the same. Especially that the Lincoln-Standard L.S.5 is a modified Standard J-1 model that the Hisso version can be seen on left in the the pic you posted. What is more the Lincoln-Standard Cruiser just had a such extended bottom wing and was the three-bay biplane.

This is what I have found in the local newspapers. More to come.

Attachments

• 1923-10-20 1.jpg
    1923-10-20 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 1923-10-29 1.jpg
    1923-10-29 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1923-10-29 2.jpg
    1923-10-29 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1923-10-29 3.jpg
    1923-10-29 3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1923-10-29 4.jpg
    1923-10-29 4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1923-10-29 5.jpg
    1923-10-29 5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1923-10-29 6.jpg
    1923-10-29 6.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 1923-10-29 7.jpg
    1923-10-29 7.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1923-10-29 8.jpg
    1923-10-29 8.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1923-10-29 9.jpg
    1923-10-29 9.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1923-10-29 a1.jpg
    1923-10-29 a1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 33
With this information I am almost convinced that the plane was a local modification to the Lincoln-Standard Cruiser. One of the articles calls them Lincoln Standard Coach models.

Attachments

• 1925-04-04.jpg
    1925-04-04.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1925-04-05.jpg
    1925-04-05.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1926 Rosecrans.png
    1926 Rosecrans.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1926-04-12.jpg
    1926-04-12.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 1926-10-29.jpg
    1926-10-29.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Lincoln-Standard Cruiser 1.jpg
    Lincoln-Standard Cruiser 1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Lincoln-Standard Cruiser 2.jpg
    Lincoln-Standard Cruiser 2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 33

Excellent info, thanks for the reveal. I hope you're feeling better.

The Closest Airship hanger to the one in the background of the picture I could find it this one The Caption reads "Military airship hangar "at a Mediterranean base" (possibly Lemnos, in the Aegean Sea). Credit: Scientific American, June 10, 1916"

So I am Leaning on a European Location for the picture. And I am also leaning to more of a Balloon Hangar than an airship Hangar by its shape, size, and its state of seeming disrepair in the 1918-22 time frame I think we are looking at for the photo.

Very interesting thread.

1632145115293-png.png

Source Fragile Sentinels, 1916

Interesting image and article link below, it is an airship (or a blimp), not a balloon, though, cammerjeff - it's full of hydrogen and maintains its shape through ballonets located within the envelope that regulate the pressure of the lifting gas within. It's a British Submarine Scout type of non-rigid airship with a BE.2 car, one of a handful sent to the British bases in Greece during the Dardanelles Campaign in 1915 but remained in theatre into 1916 and beyond. These were sent for anti-submarine patrols and artillery spotting duties.

Interesting image and article link below, it is an airship (or a blimp), not a balloon, though, cammerjeff - it's full of hydrogen and maintains its shape through ballonets located within the envelope that regulate the pressure of the lifting gas within. It's a British Submarine Scout type of non-rigid airship with a BE.2 car, one of a handful sent to the British bases in Greece during the Dardanelles Campaign in 1915 but remained in theatre into 1916 and beyond. These were sent for anti-submarine patrols and artillery spotting duties.
The location of the photo I need ID on is St Joseph, MO. To the best of my knowledge there has never been an airship here and certainly not an airship hangar. I have been researching Aviation in these parts for about 45 years. That is a HAY BARN in the background and they are very common in these parts.

The location of the photo I need ID on is St Joseph, MO. To the best of my knowledge there has never been an airship here and certainly not an airship hangar. I have been researching Aviation in these parts for about 45 years. That is a HAY BARN in the background and they are very common in these parts.

Um, I was talking about the picture with the AIRSHIP in it, y'know, the one that I describe in my post you responded to...

Um, I was talking about the picture with the AIRSHIP in it, y'know, the one that I describe in my post you responded.

I don't want to be rude but do you know what hijacking a thread is. This is my thread about IDing a plane. It was stated multiple times that there was no blimp/airship/balloon barn in the photo. Start a thread on barns if you want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back