Identification (Long Shot) !! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chalky

Recruit
Jul 3, 2007
Good day gents,

I'm trying to identify this aircraft, and would appreciate any info you are able to provide.:?:

trivia2.jpg

Thank you in anticipation. :)
John

Hi Wurger,

You had me wondering if I'd made a mistake with the image :oops: Any idea what the plane is... :rolleyes:

No mate you wouldn't.Probably something wrong with the site.I've logged out and logged again.Then the pic became visible.
To be honest I've no idea what it is.It is like La7/9 and something else mixture.It could be an Italian one.But I'm not sure if it is true.Where did you find the pic?

Pic is too small to tell.

To me it looks like either a La-7, La-9 or a I-185.

Without a better picture that shows more of the cockpit and tail I can tell. It might not even be one of those 3 that I mentioned.

They are very similar to this a/c, aren't they. But we were a bit wrong in a direction Der Adler (although I was a bit closer :lol:). It is Renard R-36 - the Belgian fighter designed in 1936.

source: Renard R-36 R-37 R-38

Hi Wurger,

My God that was quick! I spent over an hour trying to find out what it was. I'm hopeless when it comes to identification. :confused: :cry: :oops: To be honest I'd never heard of that one.:)

Cheers

They are very similar to this a/c, aren't they. But we were a bit wrong in a direction Der Adler (although I was a bit closer :lol:). It is Renard R-36 - the Belgian fighter designed in 1936.

source: Renard R-36 R-37 R-38

Wurger, 'Chalkys' photo is a Renard R-37. That web site has them labelled wrong.
It was the R-37 that had the "close cowled Gnome-Rhone radial

Looks like a Tempest of the IAF.

Stablemate of the Typhoon, the sleek Tempest was one of the fastest day fighters of its time. The Tempest was also used by the RAF to destroy V-1 flying bombs. In India, the Tempest equipped RIAF IAF Sqn. Nos. 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 10 from 1946 to 1955, and was used in action over Kashmir in 1947-48. Unlike other variants, Mk. IIs had no chin radiator

Webrisk

Attached is a photo of PR 555 one of the last batch of 8 aircraft delivered to the IAF, ordered 29 August 1951.

Notes.

1. Inside wheel flaps hanging down under the wing.

2. Clear canopy.

3. No scoop under the cowling.

4. Different tail shape.

5. Note the wing shape and thickness.

The photo is not a Tempest.

Attachments

• tempestPR555.jpg
    tempestPR555.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 143
Both sized the same

Count the propellers first. :p

Attachments