Identify a BF 109?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

joker_86z28

Airman
Dec 1, 2012
I bought this sign
IMG_1344.jpg

at the reno air races this year, but I cant find who the pilot was and what unit, Id like to make this into a model, but would like to know info,
Thanks

Why the red tulip nose you may ask?
It is in honour of the "Red Fighters",a soccer team organised by Graf who was himself a decent goal keeper. After his assignment as commander of Jagdgruppe Ost he used his influence to have several drafted members of the National Soccer Team transferred to his unit. For example Hermann Eppenhof who played for Schalke 04 became a radio operator/ground controller,Hermann Koch became Graf's mechanic,Alfons Moog,who played for Koln,became an arms technician. Franz Hahnreiter,from Vienna,ran the unit's repair shop and Walter Bammes who played for Nuremberg,became Graf's personal secretary.
With men like this available Graf could form a formidable football team!
When Graf's friend Fullgrabe finally arrived at the unit from the Eastern Front he reportedly asked "What is this? A fighter unit or a soccer team?"
Cheers
Steve

Yeah, we're pretty good that way.
Njaco, was this the same "Von Graf" that Closterman claimed was nick-named "Donald Duck"?

Different Graf. The possibly, imaginary "Von Graf" was supposedly the one flying the orange Fw 190.

Hermann Graf had a long distinguished career.

thanks again, but how do yall get the info so quick? if you dont mind me asking.

We all have extensive libraries at our fingertips that are connected by the internet so that when a question arises, it flashes across all our screens and searches our databases. Response depends on who is closest to the poster.

....and we have Google.

Different Graf. The possibly, imaginary "Von Graf" was supposedly the one flying the orange Fw 190.

Hermann Graf had a long distinguished career.

We all have extensive libraries at our fingertips that are connected by the internet so that when a question arises, it flashes across all our screens and searches our databases. Response depends on who is closest to the poster.

....and we have Google.
I have an incredibly agile mind, filled with the minutia of the history of the world; How many fire points on a Flower class Corvette? 14. What is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything? 42. What caused WW2? Hitler was a poopy-head. U.F.O.'s? Swamp gas illuminated by Venus reflecting off of a flight of geese.
...And I have Google.

And knowledge, experience, and good memories (apart from Sunday mornings, when we can't remember what we did the night before!)
Paul, that's the '109 replica at the Yorkshire Air Museum, at Elvington, UK. Not sure where it is at the moment, probably on loan, as it wasn't on display the last two times I visited, earlier this year.

That restoration isn't a terribly good representation of how Graf's aircraft looked. The profile on the decal sheet posted above is much closer,it looks to be based on one by Klaes Sundin. Certainly only one colour bordering the red tulip and I can't argue with yellow.I believe the Kennziffer to have been green 1,not red 1. Graf also had the then new Revi 16 gun sight fitted.
It was a G-6 W.Nr. 16346.
The G-5s and G-6s flown by JG 50 had a polished finish,not the standard Luftwaffe finish. This was to enable them,hopefully,to catch the RAF's high flying Mosquitos though in fact they only managed to catch one.That was shot down by Graf himself in June '43 in the Groningen area,his 203rd victory.
Cheers
Steve

I agree with you about the colour scheme Steve, but that aside, it's a nice replica. I haven't yet discovered if it is a total replica (i.e. full-size model), like the Museum's Hurricane, or partly based on an ex- BoB movie 'Buchon'. I hoped to see it in April and May, but it wasn't there.

thats a lot of interesting info, would have never known he had his own football (soccer) team haha, and that he was a mosquito chaser, really neat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back