Identifying new WW2 wreck off Pt Loma, San Diego

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well the wing looked like one from a P-51 but the radial engine rules that out

The wing also looks like one from a T-28 trojan. The later versions had a 3 bladed prop.

The curve ball is the .50 cal in the wing - the only US aircraft I can find configured like this is a TBF Avenger

The twin row engine would fit the Avenger description

What's your thoughts?

Our current thought is still a TBM/F-1.

- brett

Our current thought is still a TBM/F-1.

- brett
After beating up the NA P-51 or T-28 theory, I agree, especially when seeing the wreck in 3D (great stuff). The engine mount really gives it away.

1651776102690.png

There is a "scalloped" section missing from the top rear of the wing near the fuselage that appears to be the same shape that folds up and forward on the top of the outer wing section. This says to me Grumman unique wing folding geometry.
Yep - finally found a pic with the wing partially folded

1651777268137.png

Now the big question - when did it crash?

We have 2-3 candidate airplanes based on research (war diaries, accident reports, etc). We are trying to narrow it down. However, I kinda doubt we will ever get 100% certainty based on the current evidence. We will likely need a bureau number (or equivalent) and given the state of the wreck, it is unlikely to find it.

- brett

We have 2-3 candidate airplanes based on research (war diaries, accident reports, etc). We are trying to narrow it down. However, I kinda doubt we will ever get 100% certainty based on the current evidence. We will likely need a bureau number (or equivalent) and given the state of the wreck, it is unlikely to find it.

- brett
Well post the candidates sjeez

Well post the candidates sjeez

We just wanted to get one last accident report which we got this afternoon and it matches the wreck in terms of location and situation (prop not bent - likely a stall).

I will finish my blog post with all the details, photos, etc and post it on Monday when I get back from my trip.

I'll post the link here once the story is posted.

Thanks everybody for your help.

We have found other airplanes and even a helicopter in the San Diego area and have others we are hunting down and hope to find and identify.

Regards,

Brett

Sorry for all these posts - here's a site that restored a T-28, take a good look at the wings!

The only disconnect I see is the engine - the T-28 had a singe row radial. Are we sure this wreck's engine is a twin-row radial?
The T-28s modified for Air America/VNAF had R-2800s

As promised, here is a link to the full article with all of the pictures and links to two different photogrammetry models.

We have more projects in the works so stay tuned.

If you sign up for the blog, you will get an email whenever I post (it is usually only 2-3 posts/month). I have a trip to Vis, Croatia and then Malta coming up so hopefully I'll be posting some more cool underwater airplane wreck photos. :)

Enjoy and feedback is welcome:

Regards,

- brett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back