If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Forgot I took a picture on Lake of the Woods of the Beechcraft landing.
Beech.jpg

The RNZAF PBY-5 Catalina code XX-T

Nice picture, PBY-5 NZ4017 of 6 Sqn RNZAF, based at Lauthala Bay, Fiji, then Halavo Bay, Solomons from November 1943. Struck off charge in 1951 and most likely scrapped at Hobsonville, Auckland with all the other Kiwi Cats. Note the ASW aerials under its wings and the five symbols on the nose aft of the turret. These showed how many rescue sorties it had performed; these were called 'Dumbo Rescues' and were indicated by a caricature of Dumbo the Elephant. Note also that the beam bubble is open and the .50 is manned and ready. I'd say the pic was probably taken in 1944 whilst the squadron was at Halavo Bay.

We should never have given that one back.

The thing was, Capt Vick, sending it to Japan saved it for posterity. If it wasn't shipped to Japan, it would have been scrapped. The US Navy offered it to other museums in the States, who all turned it down. With that, the navy was going to scrap it, but for the curator of the Museum of Maritime Science in Tokyo, who got wind of the fact that the navy was going to dispose of it and put together a package to rescue it. There were a few die hards in the navy who protested that the aircraft was leaving the USA, but didn't have the resources to do anything about it. Its no longer in Tokyo; I'd imagine it was quite a mission to move it again.

The RNZAF PBY-5 Catalina code XX-T

I forgot about this one when I wrote about this aircraft. This is the airworthy Cat in New Zealand at Wanaka a number of years back. It's undergoing long term maintenance at present, they're reskinning the top wing and hasn't flown for a number of years. Hopefully it'll be back in the air next year some time.

ZK-PBY1_zps85d35246.jpg

These two looked better in black and white.

ZK-PBY2bw_zps2560deef.jpg

ZK-PBY4bw_zpsba149f8e.jpg

Nice picture, PBY-5 NZ4017 of 6 Sqn RNZAF, based at Lauthala Bay, Fiji, then Halavo Bay, Solomons from November 1943. Struck off charge in 1951 and most likely scrapped at Hobsonville, Auckland with all the other Kiwi Cats. Note the ASW aerials under its wings and the five symbols on the nose aft of the turret. These showed how many rescue sorties it had performed; these were called 'Dumbo Rescues' and were indicated by a caricature of Dumbo the Elephant. Note also that the beam bubble is open and the .50 is manned and ready. I'd say the pic was probably taken in 1944 whilst the squadron was at Halavo Bay.

Great. THX for sharing. I couldn't work out the serial. :thumbright:

The thing was, Capt Vick, sending it to Japan saved it for posterity. If it wasn't shipped to Japan, it would have been scrapped. The US Navy offered it to other museums in the States, who all turned it down. With that, the navy was going to scrap it, but for the curator of the Museum of Maritime Science in Tokyo, who got wind of the fact that the navy was going to dispose of it and put together a package to rescue it. There were a few die hards in the navy who protested that the aircraft was leaving the USA, but didn't have the resources to do anything about it. Its no longer in Tokyo; I'd imagine it was quite a mission to move it again.

Thanks for the background. If that was the choice, then I wouldn't care if they shipped it to the moon. Still would have been nice to see it in indoor at the Hazy-Udvar though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back