If you only had one weapon...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi ndicki,

And on my runs, etc, I was carrying CEMO/CEFO and an SLR. Painful, but I'd rather have pain and a rifle I think I can count on, than less pain and a rifle that I don't think I can count on. Which does not say I don't believe your figures about the M1 Carbine - only that I don't want one.

Bang-on, took the words right outta my mouth (thieving barsteward!:evil: :lol: ).

Also what DerAdler said about weight not really being a factor for vehicle crews (but compactness is). I think we should go back to Musket-length rifles with monopods myself.

The only blessing was that we NEVER, EVER had helmets or body armour...

You were definateley in the British Army then? (Semi-Rhetorical question - here we go again...).

Given the choice, I'd ditch other stuff for armour (like arms, ears, teeth etc leave my brain out too - dead weight).

And while I was in training, we used to have to carry our Officers on our backs while they beat us on with riding crops and umbrellas...

ndicki said:
Aye, an' us Dad'ld thrash us t' sleep wi' 'is belt, an' all.

:lol:

mkloby said:
I never liked the M-16 w/ the M203... throws off the whole balance of the weapon...

Ah, but the AUG is a bullpup, so it actually helps balance the weapon. (The SA-80 uses a lead weight BTW:lol: ). 'sides it acts as a kind of compensator too, though I always thought the M16 had too little recoil.

Screaming Eagle said:
Pistol : Smith Wesson No. 29 (44 Magnum)

Ever seen Dirty Harry? (Another Semi-Rhetorical question - I love 'em!).

As for modern (standard issue) weapons, well that'd be the AK74M, Steyr AUG or VSS/A91 for me. I like the Uzi and SLR too.8) The Winchester shotgun someone mentioned's a beaut too - combat triggers = 8) !

Why can't they keep their guns 5.7, instead of switching to the lower 5.56?

Hey Mac, the 5.7x28 is a pipsqueak round compared to the 5.56x45. However, I have my eye on the FN PS90 at only $1450 its a beaut. 50rd mags. Capable of penetrating a nato helmet at 200yds with proper ammo.8) Unfortunatly that ammo is illegal in US.

Attachments

• fn_cb_ps90.jpg
    fn_cb_ps90.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 98
I think it was the British Army; we did spend a lot of time getting cold, wet and miserable in places like Dartmoor and Woodbury Common, not to mention Achmer and Vorden. Then they gave us Compo to cheer us up. The bacon burgers were the worst meat by-product even permitted for human consumption.

And we even had FV432s which broke down every ten to twenty kilometres - usually shedding a track or busting the transmission. Or both.

And my FN-derivative wouldn't fire on fully automatic unless you stuck a matchstick in the right place - which I never did bother to try.

If you can think of any other army that fits the bill, I'll give it due consideration.

Just love the P-90 ! Nearly no recoil, great accuracy and a mindblowing rate of fire !

Those Herstal guys can sure make weapons !

That they can. And they are not afraid to make weapons they didn't design if they know it is sound. They also make the M2HB .50BMG "Ma Deuce". I love these guys.

Exactly, they also manufacture an updated version of the trusty US-army Minimi.

Always wanted to try the Five-Seven pistol, haven't had the chance yet though.

I don't like the looks of the Five-Seven. Purely cosmetic analysis though. Nothing more. Appears to be unbalanced. Looks too much like that old .22 pistol from the 50s. What the hell was the name of that thing. The barrel sleeve was held on with a knurled nut. It is now being manufactured under a new name. Jeez my mind is losing it.

Quote: Posted by schwarzpanzer
Ever seen Dirty Harry? (Another Semi-Rhetorical question - I love 'em!).

Yes I have seen Dirty Harry as that is where I got my inspiration from. As a matter of fact I own all 5 movies. The gun that Harry used was in fact a Smith Wesson model 29 in 44. Magnum. But during production they had to use a model 57 in 41 Magnum as Smith Wesson did not have a model 29 in stock. The Model 29 and Model 57 are identical except for minute differences in bore size, chamber dimensions, and exterior markings, none of which are visible in the film.

Screaming Eagle. I have read your scenario before and have no knowledge of its validity. However, I do know that my fellow gun nuts have debated this ad nauseum in other forum. Do you have any insight as to whether that is true. I recall the debate originating for multiple Model 29s needing to be on the set and Clanahan always using a Model 29 during close shots.

BTW. Dirty Harry jumped the shark when they gave him a Desert Eagle. Pathetic. Wasn't that the third film? I liked him best in The Unforgiven. Classic Eastwood cowboy character.

And my FN-derivative wouldn't fire on fully automatic unless you stuck a matchstick in the right place

Well done you for not trying it. :D

The barrel fouling is horrific, the recoil insane, and the first two rounds will be the only ones within a bulls roar of the target if you are really lucky.

That is surely the Rambo newbie / knobber trick of the century.

Me, I always worked on the theory that if ONE 7.62 doesn't screw his day up completely, 20 will not make much of a difference.

And I now have 19 more people to screw up with my magazine. :twisted:

PS. When the R.S.M. gets a hold of you after THAT little trick you had better suck them up to your throat. Because he will surely kick them there for you and it will hurt more when he does it.

Hi DerAdler,

You said you only had to carry it to your chopper.

Anyway, if your chopper did go down, I'm sure the weight wouldn't be such a concern? (At least it's a gun!!:shock: )

Would you rather that, or an M4A1 to get you back from behind enemy lines I wonder?

Thanks for the Dirty Harry trivia Screaming Eagle.:D My dad had a S&W M29 long ago, but they've been illegal in the UK for a while now.:(

I think Matt is talking about the AMT Automag (he throws it in the sea). There's a new Dirty Harry film coming out apparently.

As for the SLR, everyone I know who used it worshipped it. So close to being perfect, the only disadvantages were it's size and weight. IMHO the best assault rifle EVER was the one it ironically replaced, the EM2 - changed my mind on bestest weapon again!:)

Oh was it the automag? My mistake. Shows how much I paid attention to that waste of celluloid. Either way, once Clanahan gave up the traditional wheelgun, the franchise was floundering. That's when it went downhill (ie jumped the shark).

L1A1, though I also mentioned the Argentinian FN FAL (folding stock). Why you ask?

I know someone (Norweigan) who used a Hk G3 copy - he also loved it, it was very close to the L1A1 in effect.

I suppose assault rifles aren't that much of an advantage over SLR's, are they?

I wonder how effective an SLR, bullpup, carbine would be?...

Still, some people like 5.56mm's, no accounting for taste...

For what it's worth, I think PDW's, Assault rifles, AR's/SAW's/LMG's should be intermediate, around 6.5mm (As Fedorov theorised). With full-sized 7.62 Marksman SLR's and GPMG's - there, sorted!:) What are other's views?

Schwarz,

I was asking since there's more than one type SLR out there - the SLR-15 for example.

About the SLR L1A1, well I don't like it, its too powerful for its size making it near uncontrollable in full auto - might as-well use an M-14 then.

I agree about the 6.5mm round being the way to go, but not for damage reasons, but for ballistic reasons. The 6.5mm round will extend the effective range of the assault rifle a couple of hundred yards, something I'm sure the grunts will appreciate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back