If you were a pilot in ww2 which plane would you want to fly

What plane woul you want to use going into combat

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bumping my original response....

ASW Patrol, SAR, Key West NAS flying a JRF-5 "Grumman Goose."

Debrief at "Sloppy Joe's." :evil4:

View attachment 625402
I don't see an airplane in that picture, bud.
Of course not, silly, NAS Key West was a blimp base back then. Don't get fooled by the publicity shot with the imported Goose and her chicks. When I was there in the 70s, the hurricane-proof blimp hangars were still there. They kept VF101's and VX1's hangar queens high and dry when Agnes dropped in to say hi.

Of course not, silly, NAS Key West was a blimp base back then. Don't get fooled by the publicity shot with the imported Goose and her chicks. When I was there in the 70s, the hurricane-proof blimp hangars were still there. They kept VF101's and VX1's hangar queens high and dry when Agnes dropped in to say hi.

All I see in GJ's pic is a lot of cheesecake.

Of course, that's not a complaint.

How about a nice slow R4D running a regularly scheduled route from, oh say, NAS Olathe to MCAS Mountain Lake and return, twice a week. Sounds good to me.
Do you one better. When they were based at NAS Boca Chica (Key West), VX1 (Air Test and Evalution Squadron One) used to fly an almost daily commuter run to all the East Coast ASW air stations, known in the vernacular as "Conch Airways" in an elderly P3B with a conch shell painted on its side. Boca Chica, JAX, Norfolk, (sometimes, PAX), NADC Warminster, (occasionally, South Weymouth), (and always) Brunswick, ME. Any serving or retired service member who wanted to go for the ride was welcome, as they would relieve a squadron member at one of the required midships observer stations, allowing said squadron person to get caught up on their other work. All you had to do was report any unusual occurrences regarding the wing and engines, as the old tired airframe was particularly prone to liquid leaks of all kinds. Warminster was always an interesting stop, as that was where a lot of R&D work on new ASW equipment occurred, and there was lots of back and forth with the test and evaluation squadron. Lots of black boxes and classified documents back and forth. Some pretty amazing stuff they were working on, even back then. I went along for the ride from time to time, a fascinating opportunity for a geographer like me.

Sounds like almost as much fun, results wise, as the Brunswick Lobster Runs. You just had to know somebody.
Sometimes there would be a "lobster exchange", tropical spiny "goosters" for Maine Atlantic lobsters. They had sealable waterproof cylindrical containers that would fit in sonobuoy launch tubes and could hold enough seawater to keep several lobsters alive for the duration. There were several launch tubes aboard, IIRC they could hide 20-30 lobsters in the tubes.
Those tubes also came in handy when returning from any overseas trips and Customs came aboard searching for booze and other undeclared contraband. Gitmo, RNAS Bermuda, and Keflavic were frequent destinations.

Sometimes there would be a "lobster exchange", tropical spiny "goosters" for Maine Atlantic lobsters. They had sealable waterproof cylindrical containers that would fit in sonobuoy launch tubes and could hold enough seawater to keep several lobsters alive for the duration. There were several launch tubes aboard, IIRC they could hide 20-30 lobsters in the tubes.
Those tubes also came in handy when returning from any overseas trips and Customs came aboard searching for booze and other undeclared contraband. Gitmo, RNAS Bermuda, and Keflavic were frequent destinations.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of a GI.

Slightly off topic, but on one occasion leaving Melbourne, I was trying to procure some Cuban cigars and the lady at the counter wouldn't let me have them (I was in my flight suit, so readily identifiable as American). "You blokes can't have them in your country" she prattled on. The manager came over and just said to her, "let him have them, they have their own special customs people". And that huge locked tool box in the back of a KC-10 was exactly that... our own customs.

I would just LOVE to fly a 109.

It's sleek, rakish
And sitting (slightly hunched) it just makes me feel like a hunter - a bad boy - just out looking for trouble:)

I think I posted this before but can't remember but, I ran into an F-86 jock many years ago and going from memory, at one time he was stationed I think at Barksdale. He and three others did some TDY up to Maine or Vermont in F-86Ds. Did the similar thing, they weren't carrying rockets in the under nose tray so each Sabre Dog got as many lobsters as they could stuff in the rocket tubes when they left. As memory served most of them were still alive when they got home, I guess they hauled ass to altitude to keep them chilled or something, damn, now I wish I could remember the whole story.

...which you'll find when you groundloop it on landing and bang your head on that infernal canopy.
And I could be shot down and die in a flaming comet coming up against all those "better" British and American planes.

But I would still just love to fly a 109.

I thought this was my choice?

You don't see me trying to dissuade others from their choice?

Guchi

Last edited:
I'll stick to flying a Catalina on U-Boot patrols in the Caribbean.

Ahhh, the good life…
Yep - and remember, de-brief at Sloppy Joe's!

1650636883609.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back