If you were a pilot in ww2 which plane would you want to fly

What plane woul you want to use going into combat

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah... I see, sailboats... how... quaint.

Cigarette.jpg

Actually, it's a ship.
Potaatoe, Potahtoe...

Worked at Donzi in the mid 80's for a while, got more than one ride in some pretty mean ass boats I can tell you. One I remember was a smallish cigarette style with twin BIG BLOCK CHEVYS... Holy Mother of God...

Talk about sound and fury significant of a perma-grin, and a sore back.

Ended up with a 22 footer with a single 454 big block Chevrolet, more than enough to get into trouble with. I miss that boat.

In the early 60s, my first manager after USAF was a WW2 Navy vet who loved talking about sailing. He had a sailboat and after a few hints, I went out with him. No engine, only the wind. That day I learned how to sail against the wind and that power boaters have no knowledge of or respect for sailcraft. They apparently think all sail boats have aux engines and should give way to any thing larger. We left the slip in the dock and sailed through all the people coming at us tooting whatever horns they had. Had a wonderful time in the lake and may still be able to sail on open water today. Sailors don't curse, but the other boaters do.

sorry for thread drift.

Years ago, we were heading out of Newport jetty (towards Catalina Island) when I heard a familiar engine sound.
I scanned the skies as the sound grew louder, but saw nothing.

It was then, I realized it was coming from a boat out past the breakwater - about 30 feet long and moving along.

About that time, they opened the throttle and that twin-seater streaked away, heading toward Laguna to the tune of an Allison V-12 singing the song of it's people.

'Twas a gorgeous sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back