IL-2 vs CFS ????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

if you do quick combat in dogfight mode and blow up a plane into pieces, it'll just keep spinning around mindlessly in the air, and another wont spawn until it's in the ground, never seen anything like that happen in IL-2

Particularly true in CFS2, when for some reason, some freeware addon aircraft would read as killed, but carry on doing aimless loops. I haven't seen that in CFS3.

What is best with CFS3 is not actually Quick Combat, but to write a quick and dirty mission using random spawns, and play that as quick combat. You haven't got a clue what's going to appear (the aircraft types will be selected at random according to nationality and fighter/bomber), where from, or how they'll react. Not that's something you CAN'T do with IL-2! And, of course, you can write your own spawns files - which I do, although I'm no ace - so as to produce some really unpredictable stuff, using your entire collection of added aircraft! I've had some really hairy moments that way.

cool, though when i blow up a plane with my cannons in my Fw-190, the fuselage will likely just fly upwards and keep spinning and looping in all directions

how do you make spawn files anyway?

I may be somewhat late in posting this, but it seems like IL-2 has much more realistic physics compared to that of the civillian flight sim Microsoft Flight Simulator...and even X-plane for that matter, at least as far as feel goes. IL-2 seems to be the only simulator that properly spins the airplane, unlike MS, which doesn't spin right, and X-plane 7, which doesn't spin right either. Of course I have no idea what the actual planes would spin like, the closest experience is that of spinning a Cessna 152 Aerobat during some training. But using that for comparison, IL-2 just gets the "feel" of really flying. The stalls, performanace, everything seems to "feel" just right, this being based off my actual flight experieinces (which in that case I'm still a relatively low time pilot). Anyway, just my thoughts on IL-2. I have no experience with CFS.
-Kukov

The point I've been trying to make all along is that with CFS3, I admit that the stock aircraft are not up to much. The advantage is that you can replace them, free, with ones which have been designed, through the use of the laws of physics and the study of known flight parameters, to reproduce the flight and damage characteristics to within 1% of the originals. The other point is that there are a great many more aircraft available for free download, donated by members of the CFS community - myself included, in my limited way - to the community. Some are visually very, very good - for example, the new Bf109 e-7 for the Med Air War project; some are less good; all are free. You can change just about every parameter of CFS3, from the weather to the random spawns files; IL-2 does have it's good points, I must admit, but in CFS3 you have an open architecture which makes it far more versatile.

Bottom line is:

you want something realistic ? play IL2
You want something unrealistic ? play CFS3

Bottom line is if you're not interested in correct FM/DMs, play IL-2 or stock CFS3.

Hy. I think that Il2 is the best combat flight simulator you will fly ever. But it has his problems-i had the ocasion and i fly an IAR 80 from WW2, is an Romanian fighter aircraft, and i olso play il2 with this aircraft and I am disapointed. So-like i sad-this is only a sim (CFS sucs) ,and some aircrafts are better modeled-some not, but IL2 IS THE BEST you can get-if want more try REAL STUFF-then you will get an idea by yourself -of course you can spend oll your life in front of the computer wondering "what if" and aspect others to improuve something but is no simulation in the world that can get the real think. The sound of an 1000Hp engine-the acceleration-the emotion-is something that even in IL2 is imposible to get. Thenk you and escuse my english.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back