IL-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if the boat you're on berths in St. Johns, you can't go off base in uniform. This is not for security reasons, but because the whole crew is going to be hunted down by maurauding packs of Newfie girls!

Nothing to do with IL2, but I'm about to install Doom 3. There's no way my rig will handle the maximum settings, but I'll see what I can get out of it. :rolleyes:
Let's see what all the hype was about! :)

Well, that clinches it. :( My baby is old. Waaaaaaaay too much stutter, even on the medium settings. What's more, on the reduced settings the graphics are really nothing special anyway, so you don't get anything like the full experience of the game.

It looks like I'm gonna have to advance the timetable on Operation Upgrade! Maybe if I cut out some non-essentials, like food. :-k

:lol: All you need is beer, and the odd drop of water. Beer is not only a meal in a glass, but also a holiday (vacation) in a can. Spirits are really the adventure holidays, in a bottle.

I won't be at sea all the time. :lol: Besides, I'm not even sure yet exactly when I'll be going back. It could be sooner or it could be later. Oh, the joys of communication in the Forces. :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, I don't know if I'll ever get back to Plymouth. It's a shame, because I think it's a great city. As I think I've mentioned before, I was just there this past June and I had a chance to have some fun. But if I get word that we'll be heading that way sometime, I'll let you know. ;)

It's a nice looking place - I was skimming through a guide book (I was searching for information about the nightlife in St. Johns originally) and there were some pictures of Halifax - a nice one of a huge Victorian metal gate with Public Gardens on it. Strange really, It's the other side of the Atlantic, yet Halifax looks so British in some ways. Weird, but kind of cool at the same time!

Edit: Ah here it is.

Attachments

• pggatesnow_178.jpg
    pggatesnow_178.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 697
Medvedya said:
Strange really, It's the other side of the Atlantic, yet Halifax looks so British in some ways. Weird, but kind of cool at the same time!
Well, there's really nothing strange about it. Halifax was founded as a port for the Royal Navy, and I'm sure you've seen pictures of the citadel. British heritage is still quite strong throughout Nova Scotia, particularly Scottish, but there's still much of an English flavour around too.
During the tourist season, it's not uncommon for the Union Jack to fly above the old citadel once more. :)

Those gates are as good as anything you'll find in a London Park as well.

Incidentally, my cousin and her partner are in the final stages of the emigration process. Vast amounts of paperwork including questions about my families ancestry - all works on a points system apparently.

Btw, St. John's may not be much in the way of a city (more of a town, really), but you can still have a lot of fun there! ;)
For hospitality and outgoingness, the Newfies can't be beat! And they know how to party! It's a good place to kick back.
*sigh* Sometimes I wish I were single again. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back