IL-76 in trouble

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Trouble when landing..

Sunny

Attachments

• IL76introuble.avi
    24.3 MB · Views: 117
The C-141 is similar to the Il-76 (the Il-76 has been called the Russian C-141) and requires close attention when landing in a crosswind and more so if the wind is gusting. It has a strong tendency to raise the upwind wing and then weather vane (swing into the wind). My first landing in a crosswind in the C-141 was certainly a educational experience. On touchdown, I relaxed control and immediately the upwind wing lifted and the nose swung left. There I was, nose 20 degrees to the runway heading and the left wing up in the air. The most scared I have been in an airplane. The instructor took control and easily straighten the C-141 out. The lesson I learned, always continue to fly the aircraft, effectively to the chocks, i.e., pay attention to your controls when on the ground.

Notice in the video the left wing starts to raise, that indicated to me that there was a cross wind from the left. Then the aircraft weather vaned into the wind. Corrective action was not applied and lo and behold, a visit to the woods. The crew was lucky and the pilot inexperienced.

Just a second thought and that is how much runway did he have left as he seemed to 'float' for a long time before touching the deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back