Image Sizing Guidelines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In light of the large numbers of images that are uploaded to the forum as attachments without resizing them from the original picture from the digital camera/other device. This results in a really large image.

FOR THE FORUM THE RECOMMENDED IMAGE SIZE IS 800*600 Pixels

TO RESIZE AN IMAGE FOR UPLOAD

There is an easy workaround to this which is too resize the image before you upload it. This can be done in any number of freeware programs. The one that I would recommend (and I use it for quick jobs when not using Photoshop) is Irfanview. This can be downloaded from here: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

To resize a picture with Irfanview is easy and can be done is 3 simple steps.

1) Load Irfanview and the image you wish to resize.
2) Go to menu Image :arrow: Resize/Resample and reduce the image dimensions in pixels.
3) Go to menu File :arrow: Save as, choose JPG and save as new file with a different file name to the original and upload to the forum.

For many files you can use File :arrow: Batch Conversion

I have just used it to resize a batch and in the adavnced window on Irfanview select the images you want in the batch and then click on the add button below and you should see them appear as a list beneath, then click on the "Start Batch" button. Make sure you set a destination folder!

Mike once you have the photos uploaded you go back to the box where you started your post in the advanced post. Across the top of the box you will see Fonts, Sizes, A (with a scroll down arrow), and a ! with a scroll down arrow. Hit the scroll down arrow on the ! and it will say insert all images or just the one depending on how many you have to post. Click insert all or the image number and it will put them in the post. Then just hit your post button and they should come up. :

Does this still apply to the new vBulletin format? I used to use microsoft inbuilt resize tool, right click resize image, choose large and that was it, but I don't think this still applies. May have to try out a few sizes. Also when loading several images the order seems random.

Many thanks for this thread, my just having discovered it. The longer I explore, the more I find. Thanks to recent help from Horse and a very recent visit from my Grandson, with this thread I hope to post without annoying. One last couple of questions for admin. Since many of my photos are original, what kind of protection do we have for unauthorized publishing. Sharing is fine especially for modelers, however I would like to keep my rights reserved. My Grandson recommended watermarking. Any other sources in my collection will be credited.

Many thanks for this thread, my just having discovered it. The longer I explore, the more I find. Thanks to recent help from Horse and a very recent visit from my Grandson, with this thread I hope to post without annoying. One last couple of questions for admin. Since many of my photos are original, what kind of protection do we have for unauthorized publishing. Sharing is fine especially for modelers, however I would like to keep my rights reserved. My Grandson recommended watermarking. Any other sources in my collection will be credited.
Basically none. Watermarking is a good idea, but on internet is very hard to fully protect your rights once the pictures are in the open.

Duly noted.
I thought mine were within limits, but alas they are just a tad bit big.
Will comply.
Thanks for bringing it up again........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back