Important question about switch from ww2 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nivi

Recruit
Feb 12, 2012
Hello everybody,

I have a very important question about a Switch wich I have found on a crashsite from a ww2 airplane.

At first of all I would like to know from wich airplane is it? I think its Britsh.
(the crashsite is in the Netherlands)

The second question is concerning me. The white letters glow in the dark.
I have read some articles about Radiumpaint. This is used in instruments till the 60's.
Not very dangerous because it is mostly behind glass.

But.. if the letters on the switch also be Radiumpaint then I must et rid of it.
Does anyknow or they used Radiumpaint on switches like this...
I have also read about (non dangerous) paint in cockpits wich glows up with a UV light than it would be o.k. to kep in my collection.

Thanks a lot for reading!

Erik

Looks like it says 'Dome Release' to me, so could be American. (It would most likely say 'canopy release' if British)

F4U Corsairs had the luminescent paint atleast, though not sure if it was standard on all US types.

Last edited:
Hi,

It says BOMB RELEASE. It is a bomb release switch certainly used in a B-24 Liberator.(B-17 used different type...but I'm not sure and have to look it up...or you could research it yourself of course)
Attached is a pic of an example from a B-24.

Cheers,
Sander

P.s don't know if the paint contains radium.

Attachments

• 58-C-M-99a.jpg
    58-C-M-99a.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Anybody more information about the letters?

On the web I have find that the tip of the switch is radium for sure.:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back