Unknown collapsible machete – aircraft emergency kit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Truffle Pig

Airman
Dec 3, 2020
Cologne
The object, I hope you could help me to identify, is an machete. A collapsible machete with wooden grips. It is not a "one off", because in the last 30 years I saw four example of exact that model. All without any markings. It is professionaly made although there are grinding traces on the blade and the grip. Grips are made from beech and the blade from sheet iron. For me it looks like a prototype or small scale production piece. The construction is simple but sturdy. The only weak point is the possibility to loose the small metal part.

A machete was in some cases a part of an aircraft emergency kit. Well known are the WW2 foldable Cattaraugus and the nearly identical British model. The French used after WW2 a little longer US machete.
In Germany they used a long machete with sawback in WW2.

Living near the town Solingen there is always a chance to find unusual knifes on the flea markets in our area. But not everything made in Solingen was used in Germany. They sell and sold their products all over the world and you will see a lot of the cutlery also for example in South America.

Your thoughts please.

P1080575.JPG

P1080572.JPG

P1080578.JPG

P1080573.JPG

P1080579.JPG

Because there is no reaction to my question, here some more pics (from the collection of my good friend Rainer) to show, how similar the machete is to the US emergency machetes of WW2.

03_P1490982.JPG

06_P1470977.JPG

01_P1470972.JPG

07_P1470978.JPG

29_P1480787.JPG

11_P1490990.JPG

German WW 2 aircraft machetes. One with the unusual cardboard scabbard.

And an more details of the unknown model:
01_P1490980.JPG

02_P1490981.JPG

1609560033628.png

Because the U shaped pivot pin is obviously not factory made and the top of the blade has a lot of file marks on it I would strongly suggest this is a home made unit based on one of the factory made units.

View attachment 607076

Because the U shaped pivot pin is obviously not factory made and the top of the blade has a lot of file marks on it I would strongly suggest this is a home made unit based on one of the factory made units.

Thank you for your thoughts. If I would have seen only one of these machetes, I would agree, but with in total four, I do not think so. Ok, it is possible, but they look more like a small scale production in a professional workshop for me. The quality of the wooden grip is perfect. I have visited years ago two companys in SOLINGEN for professional reasons. In both cases I was surprised how traditional some knifes (in very limited numbers) were made.
But I have also seen some guys in the past who were able to build that machete in the home workshop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back