Improve That Design: How Aircraft Could Have Been Made Better

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was in the military weapons business, the MINIMUM testing we did was five units. Then we'd throw out the high and low readings, and average the other three. Mostly, it was more units than five, sometimes ten or fifteen. That was non-destructive testing.

For destructive testing, the number of units expended was dependent upon cost. One doesn't fire ten Navy Standard Missiles just to check performance. But bench-tesing the proximity fuze was non-destructive and could be run as many times as you wanted, and the test unit could still be delivered to the fleet.

Also, Shortround6, by the time the P-39N came along, the P-39's reputation in the USAAF was already well established, and making it sound better wasn't going to work with the rank and file pilots. They already knew people who had flown them, and they had their opnions. Forcing P-39s on them wasn't gling to help morale. The first time a P-39N shows up is Nov 42, and pilot morale was IMPORTANT at that time. Also, the P-39N had a smaller fuel tank that decreased the already-too-short range. Nov 42 was contemporary with the Fw 190A-5 and the P-40M.

The P-40M was basically a purely export version of the P-40K although many ended up in US units. The Allison had 1,325 hp and gave noticeably better performance than the P-40E, particularly at low altitudes. The Fw 190A-5 needs no introduction; it was one of the finest fighters at the time, if not the BEST. If you had a choice, almost everyone would choose the Fw 190 or the P-40 over the P-39N, if only from reputation.

The P-40 flew 67,059 sorties and had 521 claimed kills against 553 combat losses. That in the ETO. That's 1 kill every 129 sorties. Much better than the P-39's 1 kill every 955 sorties.

Update from above: My P-39 numbers were from the ETO 1942 - 1945, not the Pacific, as are the P-40 numbers above.

Last edited:

Please expand above.

Attachments

• FW190A6vsP-39N.pdf
    406.5 KB · Views: 88
So, pretty much the entire Allied aviaiton world thought the Fw 190 was the best fighter in the world when it came out, even the Spitfire V guys, but you are saying the P-39N was a match for it?

Am I interpreting that right? Just making sure before I reply to an incorrect assumption.

If you look at the Pilot's Operating Handbook for the P-39N-0 and N-1, the rate of climb at 3,000 rpm and 44.5" MAP (listed as Military Power), at 3,000 ft. and 5,000 ft. is shown as 2,250 fpm at 8,000 lbs gross weight and 2,900 fpm at 7,100 lbs. That won't outclimb an Fw 190A-5. This is from the Pilot's Operating Handbook straight from the USAAC.

The test in wwiiaricraftperformance are at 57" MAP. So, exactly WHEN did 57" MAP get approved? I don't know, but the coolant was overheating at this power setting, as indicated in the report. Definitely NOT as described in the Pilot's Operating Handbook, which is generally "the bible" on a military airplane.

Google P-39N POH pdf.

Last edited:

Expand above.

Last edited:
Yeah, right. Better than a Spitfire Mk.V. The numbers you are reporting are twice what is in the POH. Sorry, but another couple or three hundred hp just doesn't DO that, and neither did operational P-39s.

I'm not biting again for any reason. You're on your own. It's a good thing I'm not a moderator I suppose. Cheers.

Just an official Wright Field performance test. What did they know?

57" was WEP, you are looking at the WEP climb test. Right above that in wwiiaircraftperformance.org is the military power test at 50.5", which is what I used in the comparison.

P-39Q-5, AAF No. 42-19615 57" boost 4 August 1943
P-39Q-5, AAF No. 42-19615 55" boost 9 October 1943

We're talking about the P-39N, not the P-39Q.

That bearing just sort of floats on air...

You morons have a problem.

You hate the P-39, but that's not your problem.

When someone posts documentation that the P-39 didn't suck, you go out of your way to invent "design flaws" that never existed.

When people post documentation that you were wrong, you say without evidence that people (such as the AAF flight test reports and designers such as Robert Woods and writers of the time like Martin Caidin and Eugene Miller) were wrong or lying.
Because you "KNOW!"

When asked to produce documentation of your positions, you change the subject or simply state, "I KNOW!"

Had you read ANYTHING about the P-39 structure, including the design analysis I posted, you would clearly see that "the airplane fuselage beam assembly was to all intents and purposes a part of the engine assembly since it was really a crank case extension and acted as a housing and support for the extension drive shaft and independent gear box assembly and propeller."

NONE of you have demonstrated ANY understanding of there P-39 structures. You even missed the fume-proof armor bulkhead that separates the cockpit from the gun compartment.

You don't understand the P-39 because your egos won't allow it.

When presented with documentation you turn off and fall back on "I KNOW!"

I know you.

And I feel sorry for you.

A couple of the attachments people put up on this thread refused to open on my Android, but I haven't seen anything contradicting what I posted. Explain yourself.

Still waiting for ANY documentation from you...

You morons have a problem.

You hate the P-39, but that's not your problem.

When someone posts documentation that the P-39 didn't suck, you go out of your way to invent "design flaws" that never existed.

When people post documentation that you were wrong, you say without evidence that people (such as the AAF flight test reports and designers such as Robert Woods and writers of the time like Martin Caidin and Eugene Miller) were wrong or lying.
Because you "KNOW!"

When asked to produce documentation of your positions, you change the subject or simply state, "I KNOW!"

Had you read ANYTHING about the P-39 structure, including the design analysis I posted, you would clearly see that "the airplane fuselage beam assembly was to all intents and purposes a part of the engine assembly since it was really a crank case extension and acted as a housing and support for the extension drive shaft and independent gear box assembly and propeller."

NONE of you have demonstrated ANY understanding of there P-39 structures. You even missed the fume-proof armor bulkhead that separates the cockpit from the gun compartment.

You don't understand the P-39 because your egos won't allow it.

When presented with documentation you turn off and fall back on "I KNOW!"

I know you.

And I feel sorry for you.

My-oh-my, we're getting passionate about this topic! I'm pretty sure nobody on this forum "hates" any aircraft. We are all interested in learning more about aviation and to explore the reasons why things happened.

Personally, I find it frustrating that the P-39 seems to crop up in every bluddy thread on this forum...and it's the same people having the same arguments on all the threads. Nobody's pre-existing perspectives are getting swayed by arguments in either direction. There's a lot of transmitting but not a lot of receiving going on.

Frankly, it's getting boring.

I hate the Brewster Buffalo. I'll show myself out...

I don't buy that. The Empire wing incidence was spot on, as the aerodynamics and hydrodynamics of the TO run of a flying boat is rather critical. Arthur Gouge had already designed a flying boat that was incapable of lift off from the water. After learning his lesson, he didn't suddenly forget how to angle airfoils when he worked on the Stirling.
The incidence problem was not identified by Parker when he was running the factory tests, rather it was a complaint from the pilots at RAE when the factory testing was well advanced.
If Shorts was able to "correct" the wing incidence wrt the airframe, the cruise angle of the airframe would have been sub-optimal.
Any pilot can lift off at the correct airspeed - having to add a few more degrees nose up is not that complicated or time-consuming. Having said that, the Cessna Cardinal is an interesting example of having to re-design an aeroplane due to pilots failing to follow the manual .

jmcalli2 - I'll (once again) post an actual Bell Aircraft image of the propulsion unit for a P-39Q.
In the image, is shown the Allison V-1710-85 (which was obviously mounted to the airframe), the 60" rear shaft, the carrier bearing/coupling (which was mounted to the airframe), the 60" foreward shaft and the gearbox/propeller mount (which was mounted to the airframe).
Now, there were only THREE points of contact for this assembly:
1. Engine
2. Carrier bearing
3. Gearbox.

That's it - nothing more. Period.

So calm the eff down.

The Allison V-1710 has exactly four points of attachment. There is no "crankcase extension, " and the driveshaft simply bolts to the extension shaft flange sticking out of the front of the gearbox. I have personally worked on some 15 of them and worked in a shop that has 150+ of them, a mixture of E's and F's and a few odd G's.

Here's a F-series engine:

Note it has a propeller shaft sticking out of the gearbox where the propeller mounts.

Here's a turbo compund E-series:

It has an extension shaft sticking out of the front (left side) that is very short compared with the F-series.

There is no magic here. You can make an E-engine by simply removing the nosecase from an F-engine and bolting on an E-engine front case. And there is no "stucture" supporting the driveshaft. The only point of connection to the engine is the extension shaft.

Honestly jmcalli2, if you're going to fuss at the entire forum, you at LEAST should go look at the airplane or engine you're fussing about.

War Emergency performance numbers are not very interesting because they very seldom ever got used. If they DID get used, the engine usually had to be pulled and changed, depending on group policy. Pilots were very unlikely to use WER when far from home because abusing your engine when you were several hundred miles from home was not every smart and not very good for survival. If you were going to have engine issues and bail out or were forced land, it didn't make sense to court disaster unless your life was in immediate danger.

The P-39N-1 performance test dated 17 Oct 42 used 50.5" MAP and the max rate of climb was 3,920 fpm at 11,000 ft. It dropped off pretty steeply from 11,000 ft. upward and was down to 2,630 fpm at 20,000 ft. 50.5" MAP was takeoff power and 52" MAP was approved just for takeoff and up to 5 minutes after takeoff. Military power was 44.2" MAP and it was approved for up to 15 minutes. Max continuous power was 39.2" MAP. 55" or 57" MAP wasn't even approved when the Pilot's Operating Handbook was written, and it was released in 1 Feb 1943.

The gross weight for the test from wwiiaircraftperformance was 7,274 lbs. . Normal load was 7,500 lbs. or more, so I guess the test was conducted without the center fuel tank ... which was generally needed in the Pacific since the range was nothing spectacular without it.

Wing tanks held 87 gallons and aux tank held 75 gallons. You needed a reserve of fuel, so if you had no aux tank, you'd generally plan for 70 gallons. If you were cruising at 2600 rpm, you had from 210 to 255 miles range. You COULD get up to 430 miles, but you'd be cruising at 2200 rpm and 215 mph or so at low MAP. Without the aux tank, you don't get many places in the Pacific, so they all generally hauled the aux tank. Gross weight was higher than 7,274 lbs. for Pacific operations unless you were doing CAP for the home airfield.

The rate of climb for the P-39N-0 and N-1 was 2,700 fpm and 44.5" MAP (15-minute limit for combat) at sea level, and it went down from there. Ferry climb was 1,350 fpm at sea level, again for 15 minutes. The performance charts note you increase the time to climb by a set percent for each 10°C above 0°C free air temperature. In the Pacific, there were damned few days when the temperature was 0°C, so NONE of the Pacific P-39N's likely climbed as well as 2,700 fpm right off the runway. That's an estimate, of course, but I never saw 0°C in the South Pacific any time I was ever there personally.

If you flog the engine and run it up to 57" MAP, you have a very short duration experience with good climb rates. The Soviets used them at 70" MAP and more, but they didn't fly in the USAAC/F where that would likely get you grounded if it happened very many times. The crew chief could tell because the wire across the throtte quadrant would be broken and it had to be reported.

Moral of the story is that yes, you CAN get 3,900 fpm climb rate from the P-39N in a test of WER climb for a short time, but the operating airplanes in-service in the Pacific and the ETO generally didn't get anywhere NEAR that performance when they were operated by the book at usual weights. Most were.

You two spouting about the P-39 won't change the FACT that the U.S.A. never embraced the airplane and it wasn't anywhere NEAR as good as a Spitfire V or an Fw 190A-5. It could have been the best fighter in the world (wasn't) and the U.S.A. would still not have embraced it due to the solidly mediocre performance of the first several thousand of them. After that, nobody wanted them. Oh yeah, it also had a solidly anemic combat record in U.S. service. The Soviets operated them in cold weather and ran the engines hard, and the P-39 seemed to thrive there, but not when and where the U.S.A. operated it.

In actual history, it ranks down near the bottom of the WWII fighters in U.S. use, right close to the Buffalo but definitely above the Buffalo. Much ado about nothing doesn't change that.

Last edited:
I hate the Brewster Buffalo. I'll show myself out...

There's no accounting for taste...or even lack thereof.

Truth be told, I'm really, REALLY struggling with the concept of anyone hating an inanimate object. It has to be the most futile of actions given that the object, being inanimate, has no conception of the feelings anyone may have about it.

So, pretty much the entire Allied aviaiton world thought the Fw 190 was the best fighter in the world when it came out, even the Spitfire V guys, but you are saying the P-39N was a match for it?

This is my issue with the discussion the timing, the first P-39s to enter RAF service were not at all sorted and more of a danger to its own pilots than the enemy. These aircraft were contemporaries of the Fw-190. By the time 601 squadron packed these early versions off to Russia the Spitfire Mk IX and the Mustang Mk Is were starting to appear and the Fw 190 was a beast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread