Improve That Design: How Aircraft Could Have Been Made Better

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

if you would bulid it like i said it would have been better

Putting more engines on a dive-bomber increases the practical weight of the aircraft as it pulls out of the dive. A 2-G pullout doubles the weight the airframes thinks it is, and you have to structure for that.

Now put those engines out on the wings -- which is more weight in and of itself -- and then add in the extra weight for the load-bearing members to keep the wings from flying off due to the extra leverage the weight location adds, and you end up with something that might drop a good load, but cannot go too steep, and has its level-flight performance impaired dragging around all that reinforcement. Of course, if the dive is accurate enough it can still perhaps crash into the target.

It's about trade-offs. It's why you didn't see too many twin-engined dive-bombers.

you need more enigiesm just a supercharing systhem
The Stuka had a supercharged engine.
The SBD had a supercharged engine.

Perhaps you'd be happy to know the Heinkel He177 was "dive bomb capable" and could carry about 15,000 pounds of bombs and it had four supercharged engines (two DB610s).
Or if you're wanting fast, there was the Henschel He132 jet dive-bomber, but it couldn't carry 4,000 pounds and it didn't have a supercharger...

but it was a 9 cyl wright that made no power change it to a 14 or 18 cyl pratt renfoce the wings to increase the bomb load switch the .50s in the wings for 20s swich the tiwn 30 in the rear for a twin .50 and make the landing gear stronger to handle the speed and weight

i saw a story somewhere where a group of sbds went toe to toe with zeros and lived
Check out John Lundstrom's First Team and First Team at Guadalcanal, two excellent books about the USN carrier operations during 1942. Although he focuses on the fighter pilots, he also covers the activities of the other carrier based aircraft, as well as the activities of the Japanese. He relies on both US and Japanese records, as well as interviews with pilots from both sides. His analysis shreds many popular myths.

i dont know anything about star wars but im serious about the changes i metionsed
Your changes are about as realistic as Star Trek and Star Wars combined.

In a fantasy universe, you can stuff a turbo-supercharged engine In anything you want, then add 8,000 pounds of bombs and 12.machine guns and go kill Nazis.

In this universe, we have what's called "laws of physics".
This is why the SBD didn't have monster engines and the Corsair didn't have jets...

Dude! I'm telling you! AD-1 Skyraider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First flight: March 18 1945
Wright Duplex-Cyclone R3350 (Sorry, not a Pratt)
No rear gunner either, but a pair of 20mm in the wings
Could carry more bombs than a B-17

Dude! I'm telling you! AD-1 Skyraider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First flight: March 18 1945
Wright Duplex-Cyclone R3350 (Sorry, not a Pratt)
No rear gunner either, but a pair of 20mm in the wings
Could carry more bombs than a B-17
the ad 1 came too late to see sercive in ww2 thats why i suggested buliding the douglas demon

if they got it bulit before the war ended which according to wiki the prototype was never bulit leaving the douglas demon to rain suprame

this thread said improve the design which i did it didnt say anything about it being bulit so i win

But the "Demon" wasn't built at all. And wouldn't be.
The AD-1 was built and was one of the most successful carrier based attack aircraft ever. It was in frontline service for over twenty years in the USN and USAF, and served many more years in reserve components.

Users who are viewing this thread