Indentification of aircraft part found on Norfolk beach (UK).

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Invictaman

Airman
Oct 14, 2018
I have been beach combing on this beach before and I have often found pieces of aircraft. These unfortunately have not been very significant but what intrigues me is the shape of the corrugation, I have not seen this shape before. I am 99.9% sure this is a piece of a WW2 aircraft but is it British, American or German i would guess it is from a large frame plane perhaps a bomber or transport. So I would be most grateful if anyone can give me their views on this please.
IMG_20181015_181347.jpg
IMG_20181015_181355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another possibility could be measuring the distance between the rivet holes...if that is metric or inches. Otherwise, without numbers, it will be very difficult to ID this part.
I have measured the bolt and it is 15mm so I guess German I'm afraid little else to go on, I'm buying books on WW2 cutaway aircraft drawings so they may throw something out. Thank you for your continued interest and help though!

Looking at it again...made me think. If it is German...then my thoughts go to the panel on to which the oxygen bottles are mounted. They have at least the same shape. Could you measure some different surfaces. I then could compare it with panels we have.

Looking at it again...made me think. If it is German...then my thoughts go to the panel on to which the oxygen bottles are mounted. They have at least the same shape. Could you measure some different surfaces. I then could compare it with panels we have.
Okay the pictures you see now are from the other side of the panel, you will notice the other side of the bolt is the anchor nut which is covered by a square 22mm block. You can see where the other anchor nuts were an 11mm hole flanked by two smaller holes 20mm apart. The height of each corrugated part is 30mm, the spacing between the middle of each corrugated part is 150mm. And finally the rivet spacing on the curved edge is 25mm. I hope you can understand what i have written it you have any problems please let me know.
IMG_20181016_182329.jpg
IMG_20181016_182606.jpg
IMG_20181016_182620.jpg

Purely a guess, but perhaps a fragment of the inner surface of the wing from a B-24.
I remember seeing similar corrugated skin panels at a B-24 crash site in my area, many years ago. These were under the outer skin surface of the remains of one of the main wings.

Purely a guess, but perhaps a fragment of the inner surface of the wing from a B-24.
I remember seeing similar corrugated skin panels at a B-24 crash site in my area, many years ago. These were under the outer skin surface of the remains of one of the main wings.
That sounds interesting I'll do some research on the B-24 and see what I can find. The aluminium itself is fairly heavy gauge so it might lean towards it being part of the heavier construction of the plane, thanks for your input.

Found some photo's of a Luftwaffe oxygen panel on the internet...I have a similar example with bottle in my collection from a Me 109G-6. I think your part is not such a panel. However quite similar in shape lots of differences I'm afraid.

Attachments

• Oxygen panel (1).JPG
    Oxygen panel (1).JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Oxygen panel (2).JPG
    Oxygen panel (2).JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Oxygen panel (3).JPG
    Oxygen panel (3).JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 93
Found some photo's of a Luftwaffe oxygen panel on the internet...I have a similar example with bottle in my collection from a Me 109G-6. I think your part is not such a panel. However quite similar in shape lots of differences I'm afraid.
Kingscoy thank you for your time and information I will continue my search and hopefully something will come along. ATB Invictaman.

It might be helpful if you could identify the beach where the relic was found. There were not too many German aircraft brought down over/off there and I can look at possible candidates.

I would ask firstly where are the rivets if it was from aircraft. Even if the plane would be crashed there were remained rivets, at least a couple of them.,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back