Info on Typhoon and Tempest.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beaupower32

Tech Sergeant
Jun 10, 2007
Lancaster, California
Hello guys, im lookin for any info that you have on the Hawker Typhoon and Tempest. All versions. I have recently grown intrested in these planes and would like all info that u can come up with. Thank you very much!

Talk about coincidence! I've just posted something about this in the 'Modelling' section, for 'Rochie'. If you read the thread, you'll see why I'm unable to post the info, but, if you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll send you the same plans etc. that I sent to Rochie, plus a 'potted' account of both aircraft. Might take a few days though, as I've got quite a bit going at the moment.
Terry.

G'day Beaupower! welcome to the forum mate.
I've got the Squadron-signal 'Typhoon /Tempest in action' book at home, which I can photocopy and send to you. Drop us your home address in a PM if you're interested.

Evan

G'day Beaupower! welcome to the forum mate.
I've got the Squadron-signal 'Typhoon /Tempest in action' book at home, which I can photocopy and send to you. Drop us your home address in a PM if you're interested.

Evan

Why photocopy, when there is currently one you can download from the net. Then again there are tons of these books you can download from the net that people have scanned manly on russian web sites. PM me if you want the link.

That's interesting, Paul. Didn't know such things were available.

Hi Terry,

Its no different then music or movies. Most files are in pdf format. You cant find every thing but usually you can find most squadron signal and osprey books. Book sizes can range from 10 meg up to around 150 meg and you can find other books as well on different subjects such as ships,tanks, aircraft from era's from civil war to present day on all areas in different languages. You need fast internet and lots of hard drive space.

When I get home I will email those who wanted the link. Its one of a few I know about.

Thanks Paul, look forward to it. Should have the right computer gear, as I had the hard drive, and everything else, upgraded, as you probably know. Also, my Internet connection is fast, via my mobile (cell) phone provider, one of those 'mobile broadband' services, great stuff!
Terry.

You can find some info in some of the books from Poland or the Czech Republic on the Tempest. There is one remaining Typhoon on static indoor display at one of the museums in the UK, but it may be made up partly by making use of some Tempest parts, here and there, from what I hear.

Saw a book called Terror from the Skies:

In the summer of 1944, the Germans launched more than 10,000 flying bombs at Britain – most of them towards London. Thousands of people were killed and many more were injured. RAF fighter pilots flew round-the-clock patrols, desperately trying to shoot the robot rockets down and stop them reaching their targets. Graham Thomas, an Information Officer with the British Army, draws on first-hand accounts to bring this terrifying time to life.

From the launching pads in Northern France to panic in Whitehall as the menace grew, Terror from the Sky follows the day-by-day battle. It takes the reader into the cockpits of the Tempests, Mosquitoes, Spitfires and Mustangs, and relates the experiences of both the pilots and the Anti-Aircraft gunners. The book also includes recollections from those on the ground who survived the bomb attacks. In a thought-provoking conclusion, Graham Thomas assesses the cost and the success of the RAF campaign against the dreaded flying bombs.

BIBLIOGRAPHIC DETAILS:
Publisher: Pen And Sword Books
ISBN: 978-1844156849

You can also look for books from the Warpaint series (I think #55) or maybe Warbird Tech. Squadron Signal in Carrolton, Texas USA has some paperbacks on these planes among their Walkaround or In Action series.

You can also view my rendering of an early Tempest on my web page, along with other planes, plus a derivative, a Korean-era Sea Fury near the bottom of the page. Takes a while to load, if you're on dial-up, though.

Aviation Illustration by John H. Stanley

Good hunting.

profile artist John

As well as the Typhoon and Tempest you might also want to look into the Hawker Tornado, this was almost identical to the Typhoon but powered by the RR VUlture engine that caused such problems in the Avro Manchester that it was developed into the Lancaster instead.

There there was this one, the Sabre powered Fury which was the fastest Hawker piston fighter ever flown with a top speed of 486mph

sabrefury.jpg

Nice pics Marcel. But why the heck have they re-painted the Tempest and hung it up? It used to be in camouflage colours, on the ground near the Typhoon. Maybe its present finish is representative of its last role, but it just doesn't look right in those colours, and stuck up there! Still, at least the R.A.F. Museum are varying their exhibits.

Thanks Paul! I'd be interested in that link alright!

Beaupower, the book I've got is: Typhoon/ Tempest in action, Squadron/ Signal publications no.102, by Jerry Scutts (ISBN 0-89747-232-2). Try to download it on that link if you can, otherwise let me know and I'll copy the book for you.

Evan

That's a great offer Evan! I'm sending Beau' the plans etc, but the text of the articles doesn't show very well in e-mails, so it will save me writing a 'potted history'!
Don't you just love the cooperation in this forum?

The Cooperation of this forum is awsome. Thanks for the help. I looked on that website for the book. But for some reason I cant find it. I will keep looking though.

James

Hi James,

Im pretty sure I found my copy here. Try the forum area. Lots of books there also. If not let me know and I can try and email you the file. Be warned though it's around 16 meg.

Micdrow could you PM or email me the link to the site where I can download the WW2 books?

The Tempest in my opinion is one of the most underated fighter of the late war period. The Tempest was as good as any of its more famous opposition and was produced in quite large numbers, 1418. It was very fast, had good range for a RAF fighter. It also shot down 20 Me262 and stacks of V-1 flying bombs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back