Instrument Panel lights during combat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 21, 2009
It seems to me that the gauges on the instrument panel of WWII fighter aircraft are more readable when the panel lights are turned on (even during the day). Were pilots known to do this in combat in WWII?

I dont think so, as in day light its nearly impossible to see any panel lights come on (unless in cloud cover, or panel is somehow covered by the cockpit). But as a example (bubble top on Mustang) It would allow so much sun light in that it would obscure the gauge lights. Hope this helps, and if im wrong, im sure someone will help me out.

The IL-2 panel lights are a generic green and looks modern compared to actual vintage gauge lighting.

The aircraft of that time period had a variety of back-lighting for thier panels, and the colors differed between nationalities and even manufacturers and sometimes the gauges themselves had thier own unique color for quick ID at night.

You had reds, greens, blues, dim yellows, violets and oranges. Keep in mind that the actual panel lights were dim enough to see the instruments, but not strong enough to be seen at even a short distance.

So in broad daylight, you'd just see the normal instruments and no backlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back