Interesting F-22 tidbit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some funny stuff there. First off if there was an additional 600 pounds of "extra coatings" that would show up in the inital weight and balance report for the aircraft and I know government inspectors track that. Additionally I would also tend to believe that there are government inspectors verifiy the in-process applications of these coatings. As far as the coating falling off the aircraft - it happened all the time on the F-117A.

I bet there is more to this story than meets the eye.

I don't know. Something seems a little fishy. He went back and forth between Lockheed and and Northrop Grumman, then he was fired. But what he was fired for is not truly known. We only have one side of this story.

That would be fine except if there was an additional 600lbs of paint it would affect aircraft performance besides its stealth capabilities.

Sounds like he's somebody's puppet to me. Why would it be in his interest to make Lockheed Martin pay $50 million to the US Government for each aircraft currently ordered, unless he's getting a cut of the action from someone inside.

Eric, I reckon the reason for his dismissal may be in relation to his 'failure to cooperate' with his supervisors. They probably thought it best to get rid of him before he blew his top and did what he's done now.

One question though - why did he wait 10 years to bring this up?

Sounds like he's somebody's puppet to me. Why would it be in his interest to make Lockheed Martin pay $50 million to the US Government for each aircraft currently ordered, unless he's getting a cut of the action from someone inside.

Under a defense dept. "whistle blower" program he'll get a cut of that money.

I don't doubt it Joe, but he'll be watching his back for a while, I'd say...

I could almost guarantee he'll never work in the aerospace business, at least not for a major prime like Lockheed. It's a really a small community and once you're labeled a whistleblower, especially will little or no merit, it's hard to regain your reputation. I wouldn't say that prime contractors are always innocent, but in the end it's to their interest to meet the contract requirements or face being barred from bidding on future contracts.

I believe it. The electronics industry is exactly the same.

(btw: Off topic, but was surprised to read April 5 marked the 50th anniversary of the maiden flight of the L-29!!!)

I could almost guarantee he'll never work in the aerospace business, at least not for a major prime like Lockheed. It's a really a small community and once you're labeled a whistleblower, especially will little or no merit, it's hard to regain your reputation. I wouldn't say that prime contractors are always innocent, but in the end it's to their interest to meet the contract requirements or face being barred from bidding on future contracts.

So it remains an ethical dilemma. From what you appear to say, nobody should approach the government (or other end user) even if they know their company is lying. That simply cannot be right.

So it remains an ethical dilemma. From what you appear to say, nobody should approach the government (or other end user) even if they know their company is lying. That simply cannot be right.
No, not at all - if you approach the government you better have your act together and facts straight if this has taken 10 years and he was initially fired over this, something isn't right. Many of these folks who come forward with these complaints are usually disgruntled employees but there are the few that do have a legitimate gripe and I have seen the system work the way it was advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back