Is it possible to build a WW2 Fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LOL...A friend flew on of them from the Fort Worth area where it was based, down to Harlingen one year for the big airshow and to winter it down there....His biggest complaint after the heat in the cockpit, was being passed by every VW beetle on the interstate he was following. Wes said he averaged about 51 mph for the trip down. He refused to fly it back in the spring. You know it's slow when a 48 hp, air cooled Bug can outrun you......

Well yeah, it wasn't built for speed...;)

There's a full scale replica Storch that flies in this area. It's the newer Serbian manufactured version and it's painted in Afrika Korps camo.
It's powered by a Lycoming if memory serves right.

Used to watch them at the Hahnweide airshow back in Germany. Loved watching them practically hover down the grass strip into the wind.

Used to watch them at the Hahnweide airshow back in Germany. Loved watching them practically hover down the grass strip into the wind.
There's a local group of Bush Pilots and they had an open fly-in at Benton (O85) and the Storch made a surprise visit.
There was a nice breeze out of the North that morning and the Storch's approach on 33 was literally at a person's brisk walk, and held steady at about 25-30 AGL all the way to the ramp area, where he cut back and it gently set down like a feather.
The Bush Pilots were all cheering at the sight - it was truly impressive to see.

I read a number of years ago that there are enough P-51s flying to create a market justifying building new parts for just about every part of the airplane. In theory, then, you could build a P-51 from scratch if you had enough know-how, equipment, time and money to do it. But it won't be a Mustang unless it has an original serial number. That's why even some real basket case wrecks are valuable - they at least come with a serial number. Maybe somebody with more knowledge of FAA regulations can chime in on the difference it makes with a serial number or no serial number to get approval to fly your aircraft.

Doing something like a Mustang, one runs into quite a controversy with it being a rebuild, a replica or a representation. The definitions are open to wildly varying interpretations based on a number of criteria. It's a highly volatile subject that can get nasty real quickly. My take is be truthful with what you call it and how you document it. Coming from the aircraft production side of the world, as long as you have an original dataplate, it's rebuildable. No dataplate, but per original and operational prints from it's operational life cycle, it's a replica. If it looks like, flies like the original, but has enough differences that the original manufacturer would have to assign a different model or block designation, it's a representation.
95% of the people that look at a Mustang wouldn't know the truth about whatever airframe they were standing in front of unless they were told. The absolute purist count rivets and complain about incorrect paint color formulations and wire types, while the realists see it for what it is..a great flying and fun aircraft!

There's a full scale replica Storch that flies in this area. It's the newer Serbian manufactured version and it's painted in Afrika Korps camo.
It's powered by a Lycoming if memory serves right.

I believe this is what you're talking about...

Slepcev Storch - Wikipedia

Attachments

• SLEPCEV-STORCH-STOL-PLANS-AND-INFORMATION-SET-FOR-HOMEBUILD-AIRCRAFT-34-SCALE-REPLICA-GERMAN-S...jpg
    SLEPCEV-STORCH-STOL-PLANS-AND-INFORMATION-SET-FOR-HOMEBUILD-AIRCRAFT-34-SCALE-REPLICA-GERMAN-S...jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30
Hey. This might be a dumb question. Actually im a guy that can fly a plane. Only small ones like C172 or ASK23 / 21.
Because im very bored and i want to do something nice, i actually want to reconstruckt a Fighter out of WW2 in real size. Something like a Bf109 (G2 or K4 or something like that).
Im just aiming for a design with a retractable landing gear, good power and that "old" fighter look.
I love those planes and i really wanna try to do it. Of course I dont want to perfectly reconstruckt everything, but close to that. So what do you think? Where can i get blueprints from? Where should i start? Is it even possible for a "layman" like me? I know everything a PPL - having person knows about a plane. Im in a club for flying (idk the exact word for that in english, its something like a flight school).
You might want to consider the Spitfire kit made by Supermarine Aircraft.

Hey. This might be a dumb question. Actually im a guy that can fly a plane. Only small ones like C172 or ASK23 / 21.
Because im very bored and i want to do something nice, i actually want to reconstruckt a Fighter out of WW2 in real size. Something like a Bf109 (G2 or K4 or something like that).
Im just aiming for a design with a retractable landing gear, good power and that "old" fighter look.
I love those planes and i really wanna try to do it. Of course I dont want to perfectly reconstruckt everything, but close to that. So what do you think? Where can i get blueprints from? Where should i start? Is it even possible for a "layman" like me? I know everything a PPL - having person knows about a plane. Im in a club for flying (idk the exact word for that in english, its something like a flight school).

You can absolutely do it, for a serious air-superiority fighter like a 109, a conservative estimate if you already have the appropriate facilities, tools and staff, would be a baseline of 3million USD. At least half a million of that would go on a Daimler-Benz engine alone.

You can get kits for the 190 and Spitfire, if you dont have 20 years to spare, and a pile of gold bars, I would do that if I were you.

Last edited:
Remember the Spitfire Mk.I that was recovered from the Calais beach (more destroyed really, "let's put a rope on an a/c that's been buried for 50 years and is filled with sand and pull it out with a tractor")
That was basically rebuilt around a dataplate, and very nicely too!
Even engines can be manufactured, IF your pockets are deep enough, Audi had new blocks cast by Crostwaithe&Gardiner for their 30's F1 cars smuggled out of Russia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back