Is it really worth it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not sure how you can claim that Cancer FEEDS on a particular food group. Certain fats (fatty acids) like certain proteins (amino acids) are essential to life since the human body does not have a metabolic pathway to produce them. They have to be provided by the diet.
Fats (fatty acids) fall into two main groups – saturated and unsaturated – based on their chemistry. There are three major classes of unsaturated fatty acids: omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9. The omega-6s and omega-3s are essential. The omega-9s are non-essential because the body can make them from other fatty acids.
The omega-6 fatty acids are linoleic acid (LA), and its derivatives, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and arachidonic acid (AA)
The omega-3 fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and its derivatives, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
Theoretically, only LA and ALA are absolutely essential. However, the fatty acids derived from them are also generally considered essential.

Cancer is simply not a disease with a cause and every human has cancerous cells present all the time.
Each time a cell divides it copies the 3 billion DNA 'letters' that make up its genetic code this is literally impossible to accomplish every time totally error free. Carcinogenic substances, such as those found in tobacco smoke, make this process more difficult and as such DNA damage becomes inevitable.

Because errors can and do occur cells also have proofreading machines that scan our DNA code, looking for faults and calling on molecular repair teams to fix any damage that's found. But like the copying process itself, they're not foolproof either and mistakes can slip through. A subtle genetic change might go unnoticed, or there could be so much damage that the repair machinery can't cope. But even if this happens, there are further checks in place to stop the damaged cell from dividing and potentially leading to a cancer. For example, the cell can effectively be forced to commit suicide so that it can't pass on its faulty DNA to new cells.
Again, like every biological process not fool-proof and some damaged cells can slip past these checks as well.
That's when the immune system comes into play, checking the genetic code of cells. If it appear out of the ordinary attacking and wiping them out. Frustratingly, cancer cells have evolved their own ways to defend from immune attack, such as dressing up in molecules that form an invisibility cloak. Ultimately, these can allow cancerous cells to evade destruction and go on to develop into the disease.

Now returning to The particular cancer PROSTATE mentioned above what is known, sort of is:
Prostate cancer is rare in men younger than 40, but the chance of having prostate cancer rises rapidly after age 50. About 6 in 10 cases of prostate cancer are found in men older than 65.

Race/ethnicity
Prostate cancer occurs more often in African-American men and in Caribbean men of African ancestry than in men of other races. African-American men are also more than twice as likely to die of prostate cancer as white men. Prostate cancer occurs less often in Asian-American and Hispanic/Latino men than in non-Hispanic whites. The reasons for these racial and ethnic differences are not clear.

Geography
Prostate cancer is most common in North America, northwestern Europe, Australia, and on Caribbean islands. It is less common in Asia, Africa, Central America, and South America. Exactly why is unclear. One probable factor is the more intensive screening in developed countries. Another probable is lifestyle differences, e.g.: Asian Americans have a lower risk of prostate cancer than white Americans, but their risk is higher than that of men of similar backgrounds living in Asia.

Family history
Prostate cancer seems to run in some families, which suggests an inherited or genetic factor. However, most prostate cancers still occur in men without a family history of it. Having a father with prostate cancer more than doubles a man's risk. The risk is even higher for men who have a brother with the disease. The risk increases even higher for men with several affected relatives, particularly if their relatives were young when the cancer was found.

Gene changes
Several inherited gene changes seem to raise prostate cancer risk, but they probably account for only a small percentage of cases overall. For example:
Inherited mutations of the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes raise the risk of breast and ovarian cancers in some families. Mutations in these genes (especially in BRCA2) may also increase prostate cancer risk in men.
Men with Lynch syndrome (also known as hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer, or HNPCC), a condition caused by inherited gene changes, have an increased risk for a number of cancers, includiFactors that are still unclear with contradictory studies concerning the link.

Diet
The exact role of diet is not clear. Men who eat a lot of red meat or high-fat dairy products appear to have a slightly higher chance of getting prostate cancer. However, at the same time, these men also tend to eat fewer fruits and vegetables.
Some studies have suggested that men who consume a lot of calcium may have a higher risk of developing prostate cancer. Dairy foods obviously fall into this category. But most studies have not found such a link with the levels of calcium found in the average diet, and it's important to note that calcium is known to have other important health benefits.

Obesity
Being obese does not seem to increase the overall risk of getting prostate cancer.
Some studies have found that obese men have a lower risk of getting a low-grade form of the disease, but a higher risk of getting more aggressive prostate cancer.
Some studies have also found that obese men may be at greater risk for having more advanced prostate cancer and of dying from prostate cancer, but not all studies have found this.

Smoking
Most studies have not found a link between smoking and getting prostate cancer. Some research has linked smoking to a possible small increased the risk of dying from prostate cancer.

Chemical exposures
There is some evidence that firefighters can be exposed to chemicals that may increase their risk of prostate cancer. A few studies have suggested a possible link between exposure to Agent Orange, and the risk of prostate cancer, although not all studies have found such a link. The Institute of Medicine considers there to be "limited/suggestive evidence" of a link between Agent Orange exposure and prostate cancer.

Inflammation of the prostate
Some studies have suggested that prostatitis may be linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer, but other studies have not found such a link. Inflammation is often seen in samples of prostate tissue that also contain cancer. So this link is still unclear

Sexually transmitted infections
STDs like gonorrhea or Chlamydia can lead to inflammation of the prostate. As such, they might increase the risk of prostate cancer. So far, studies have not agreed, and no firm conclusions have been reached.

Vasectomy
Some studies have suggested that men who have had a vasectomy have a slightly increased risk for prostate cancer, but other studies have not found this.
I've even heard that Testosterone causes prostate cancer. Does that mean castration to prevent cancer? If so, I will choose to die.

I'm not sure how you can claim that Cancer FEEDS on a particular food group. Certain fats (fatty acids) like certain proteins (amino acids) are essential to life since the human body does not have a metabolic pathway to produce them. They have to be provided by the diet.

Yes, I did oversimplify the issue but that was actually almost word for word what my doc said when he started on why I needed to urgently see a dietician. They said diet is definitely a significant factor once you have many cancers.

It was interesting to read through your detailed summary and tick off my risk indicators - over 65, in Australia (and I refused to give up bacon because surely that can't hurt me).

Interestingly when diagnosed I met an 84 year old who was diagnosed 23 years earlier. His recommendation was immediate surgery as two of his friends got it, had chemo and died soon after. Another three years later he is still around, my prostate is gone but my cancer had gone from low grade at the time of the biopsy to very aggressive and in the surgery margins in under 12 months. I will not blame the bacon - just the person eating it when he should have listened to the dietician. Now of course bacon can no longer hurt me

Last edited:
I've even heard that Testosterone causes prostate cancer. Does that mean castration to prevent cancer? If so, I will choose to die.

Prostate removal prevents erection. There is an operation that can fix that but my surgeon says it costs over $30,000 and does not know anyone who has had sex more than once after the "remedial" operation.

And the thought that a Vasectomy can increase the odds of getting prostate cancer has been debunked. The most recent studies by the Mayo Clinic have shown this to be false.

I had a Vas done in December, and did a lot of research on this before hand.

And the thought that a Vasectomy can increase the odds of getting prostate cancer has been debunked. The most recent studies by the Mayo Clinic have shown this to be false.

I had a Vas done in December, and did a lot of research on this before hand.

Congratulations on becoming a sporting model. Production models have far higher stress which is bad for their health

Last edited:
that was actually almost word for word what my doc said
MDs spend the majority of their time trying to explain some complex medical issues to people who flunked 6th grade science and wouldn't know an osteoblast from an osteoclast. Hence they tend to treat all patients as if they had an IQ of 80 and dumb-down everything. It took me a while to convince my Cardio doc that he could actually use words of more than one syllable in his discussions with me.
Cancer cells require the same nutritional substances as do any other cell in the body and more so due to their uncontrolled replication rate. Cancer cells even secrete a substance that encourages the development of capillaries into the developing tumor bringing more blood and nutrition to support the tumor's rapid development.

As father of three daughters, I concur. So far, my middle daughter (she may be found in girls and planes) is the only one providing grandchildren. A grand daughter who recently provided a great granddaughter. My grandson though, is similar to the public service TV ad about exercise. Growing up with only sisters was good training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back