Is Spitfire really the BEST British fighter???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the lancaster kicks ass said:
but try not to call german planes "nazi Germany" planes, it keeps politics out, and besides the plane had little to do with the actually nazi party save for the fact that the nazis let it be developed...............

That is not true. Willie Messerchmitt played politics in a big way and was definately a member of the Nazi party (so was Kurt Tank). Only good Nazi industrialists got contracts, and many key positions even in science and engineering pretty much required Nazi party membership.

Who knows what other German fighter designs might have been developed had the non-Nazi German's been allowed to participate?

=S=

Lunatic

This website is dedicated to World War 2 aircraft. By naming the aircraft "Nazi Germany" designs you're bringing politics into a non-politcal discussion.
I don't think many people want to be discussing the politics of it all on here. If they do I'm sure a thread would be started about it. I'm not having a go or anything, I'm just saying it would be easier for everyone in an aircraft discussion if politics, including names, would be kept out of it. Even if, as we know, in Germany mainly [if not only] selected political party members above all.

Just my thought on it.

That's fine with me, but please don't say that the German engineering efforts were not Nazi efforts, because they were. I have a problem with denying this aspect of WWII Germany. It is a big part of the German war machine - and comes into play in many areas. For instance, if you look at the cost of a Panzer in RM and index that to 1944 US$, it appears the Panzer is not much more expensive than a Sherman - but that discounts the fact that a lot of forced and slave labor is involved. If you exclude consideration of the nature of the Nazi regime, it perverts other aspects of the analysis.

I agree we should not over-focus on this, but lets not deny it either.

=S=

Lunatic

All 109s and 190s wore the Nazi party symbol and were in effect the Nazi's right fist utilized in the furtherance of their goals. To deny this is delusional.

RG_Lunatic said:
Willie Messerchmitt played politics in a big way and was definately a member of the Nazi party (so was Kurt Tank). Only good Nazi industrialists got contracts, and many key positions even in science and engineering pretty much required Nazi party membership.

Who knows what other German fighter designs might have been developed had the non-Nazi German's been allowed to participate?

=S=

Lunatic

That is completely true. Polotics played big parts in who got to design aircraft and who got the contracts. If you were not big in the party you were not even considered. That is one reason why Messerchmitt, Focke-Wulf, Heinkel, and Junkers were chosen over so many others. The Heinkel He-112's were better then Me-109's but the 109's were chosen because of Willie's standing with the party.

Had the other companies been allowed to compete there may have been a whole new line of aircraft that were far superior to what was being made. German R D may have been completely different.

Anyway, since this isn't a political discussion then it best for everyone that they be German designs, British designs, American designs and Soviet designs.

I think it's safe to say, RG, that all on here know about the basics of the German technological programme being based on the biggest political party members getting first choice. There are very few things in Germany during World War 2 that didn't come from a Nazi. I can think of a few but no time for that [Hetzer Tank Destroyer was one].

Keep it simple and to do with aviation. No one is denying Germany's Nazi past...why would we? We enjoyed kicking their ass so much. :lol:

i found it very patronising..........

Learn the difference between when you are being laughed at and when people are laughing with you Lanc. It will serve you well not to react inappropriately to a good natured smile or laugh, even if it is a little bit at your expense.

=S=

Lunatic

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
That is completely true. Polotics played big parts in who got to design aircraft and who got the contracts. If you were not big in the party you were not even considered. That is one reason why Messerchmitt, Focke-Wulf, Heinkel, and Junkers were chosen over so many others. The Heinkel He-112's were better then Me-109's but the 109's were chosen because of Willie's standing with the party.

Had the other companies been allowed to compete there may have been a whole new line of aircraft that were far superior to what was being made. German R D may have been completely different.

This is very true. The lack of diversity in German R&D certainly hurt them.

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
i found it very patronising..........

Learn the difference between when you are being laughed at and when people are laughing with you Lanc. It will serve you well not to react inappropriately to a good natured smile or laugh, even if it is a little bit at your expense.

=S=

Lunatic

dude you don't know the first thing about me, i can take a joke, someone who doesn't know me, patronising me after i put my hands up as i didn't know what something ment and so had to ask, is not a joke..........

and to KK, i know you didn't, really mean to patronise me, this's all Rg's fault...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back