is this correct?? P-47 time to climb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another proof of the reliability of that site

Jim - Lol. Is it the site or an error by a flight test engineer at Wright Patterson? I couldn't find it via independent search either.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p47-26167.html

Here is the entire test report - on 44-1 fuel and up to 65" hg w/WI.. max rate of climb 3260 at 10,000 feel falling off to 2400+/min ~ 24K.. Integrating that would give >9-10minutes

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p47-26167.html

The Report is accurate - the plot is not - and Mike Williams neither conducted the tests, nor wrote the analysis - so how does tha make the site 'un-reliable'??

Last edited:
From what I have read, the P-47D has a rate of climb of between 2,780 and 3,120 ft/min, depending on the source. I am not sure if that was with the toothpick props or the paddle blade props. The 368th FG lists the P-47D-25-RE at 6.2 min to 15,000'.

Martin Bowman also states that the P-47D with paddle blades could reach 30,000 in "about 13 minutes" as opposed to "about 20 minutes" with the toothpick prop.

Thanks Bill, you beat me to it while I was eating dinner. :) Yes, that chart is from the trials report of P-47D 42-26167 running on 150 grade fuel. I wasn't a member of the Flight Test Engineering Branch at Wright Field at the time the report was written. ;) I did unfortunately have to work with badly deteriorating microfilm while producing the copies of the charts. Here's a bigger version of the Time to Climb chart as well as the associated Rate of Climb Ceiling from the report on P-47 42-26167 that might be useful.

p47-26167-timetoclimb-b.jpg

p47-26167-rate-of-climb.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Mike - I have a publishing deal w/Schiffer on the Our Might Always Vol I - WWII.

It is a massive re-write and expansion on 355th during WWII. I have several major re-writes of the big battles including April 24 with all losses and victory credits on both sides - but no pics. If you want it for your site in Word format I will send and you can add whatever photos you wish

Regards,

Bill

Hiya Bill,
Congratulations of your publishing deal with Schiffer, great news! I look forward to seeing your work in print. Please do send me the update on the April 24 air battle. I've always liked the first edition of that article so I can well imagine the update must be fabulous. What other big battles did you examine in detail in a like manner to your April 24 work? Are they in your new book?

Best regards,

Mike

ahh, just saw the time to climb for the P-47M, and it clears 20,000ft in about 5.2 minutes.
Probably more accurate there.
That might be a chart for another aircraft then?

Mike - if you look into the thread April 24 you will see the spreadsheet credit/loss update which is far more complete for all but since you published my version a couple of years ago I read ever MACR and Encounter report to nail approximate times and locations for the clashes. It will be enormously helpful for Luftwaffe researchers trying to match up their encounters.

As to more coverage.. Several come to mind for which there are 3 or more pages devoted. April 24, May 12, June 20, July 7, November 26 come to mind - the latter is one where Eric and I spent enormous time exchanging notes. I sent all the above to Don Caldwell and Rich Mueller and Dr Prien to help them as they wish.

And yes - the combat diary has them and in much more detail for all significant fights. I put the two versions of April 24 - one more condensed and focused much more on the 355th but still covering the 357th - and the biggie which focused on the First Task Force and intersected much detail for the 355th, the 357th, the 1st BD and various LW units times and locations of nearly all the fighter engagements - in the Appendices to give a reader much more insight what a major air battle was all about

I will send.

Contained within the Memorandum Report on P-47B No. 41-5902 regarding Acceptance Performance Tests is a Time to Climb chart. This aircraft was equipped with a P&W R-2800-21 engine operating at 52"Hg. swinging a Curtis 714-102-12 propeller. Gross weight as tested was 12,565 lbs. Following are links to charts showing time to climb for both P-47M and P-47N. The P-47 Tactical Planning Characteristics Performance Chart also gives Time to Climb at max. continuous power for various models of P-47.

Bill - thanks, sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back