Italeri WW2 German models.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I am about to start a Italeri 1:72 scale FW-190, and I noticed that the decals do not have the swastika that goes on the rudder.

Is it because this model is of two versions that did not have it, or is it a PC thing?

It is quite characteristic for many manufacturers that these Nazi markings don't come with kit decals. If the swastika wasn't painted on these two particular planes it isn't needed then. You have to know that variants of planes don't determinate markings on them but their nationalty rather. Of course you aren't limited to these two variants and if you need these swastikas you can buy aftermarket decal sets for other camos including these Nazi markings.

As far as I know, no luftwaffe aircraft flew without the swastika (hakenkreuz) during WW2. Manufacturers like revell and italeri never include swastikas in their kits, because they also sell these kits on the german market and owning any item depicting a swastika is, as far as I know, a crime there, even today. if you want to make your model 100% accurate, you'll need to buy a set of aftermarket decals for that type of aircraft...there are plenty of excellent decal companies out there like eaglecals, aeromaster, xtradecal,techmod and many more...

I actually built a Bf-109 that had the tail swastikas that was a revell. But then again who knows how olf the model is.

item depicting a swastika is, as far as I know, a crime there, even today.

Not 100% true.

It depends on how you are depicting it. If it is for educational purposes it is legal, and not a problem at all. That is why most museums in Germany have the swastikas on their aircraft and uniforms. I have many pictures of Fw 190s and Bf 109s as well a Ju 88 in Germany that have the swastika on their tails.

Personal collectors of Militaria and WW2 artifacts do not have to "Denazify" there collection either. I never had a problem with any of my original uniforms and artifacts that were in my collection, and have even loaned some of my uniforms to public displays at local small museums and libraries.

That's interesting! Well I'm glad to have learned that, I was under the impression all swastikas are banned there! I believe the swastikas are intentionally left out of model kits though...might be wrong though!

Unless used for educational or museum displays or similar things, they are illegal from being displayed. You won't see flags flying in windows, people walking with nazi symbols on their clothes or anything like that. That is a big no no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back