IT'S OFFICAL! F-35 = Lightning II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The pilots will give it its real name once it's in service. Maybe even LUF if we figure the B-52 are BUF!!
SmackBottom.gif

the lancaster kicks *** said:
guys just come up with original names! sticking a II after it sucks!
I agree! It is cheesy. However, Phantom II seems natural. I guess because it was of my generation. And besides, whoever heard of the original Phantom? I kinda understand Corsair II, Thunderbolt II, Lightning II, all were great planes to be named after. But the Phantom???

don't name it after great planes, naming it after a great plane wont make it great, if a plane's gonna become great then so will it's name, so make it something new!

the lancaster kicks *** said:
don't name it after great planes, naming it after a great plane wont make it great, if a plane's gonna become great then so will it's name, so make it something new!

I guess that is why the Phantom II basically became the "Phantom" because it was a great plane and the original Phantom was not.

I like the fact its called Lightning II because the P-38 was a very good twin engine fighter. It also played a key role in the war like the shooting down of Yamamoto's transport.

If they come up with another name, I would call it "Strikehawk."

so what, naming it the lightning II wont make it great! yes the P-38 was a great fighter so leave it's name alone! we don't go around naming everything the spitfire and we don't name all our kids after famous people simply because it wont make them famous! atleast when we reuse names we take them from poor planes or little known planes (the exception being the Typhoon) and we don't stick a II after them, give it an original name the P-38 doesn't need annother tribute to it and most definately not in this form, what exactily does naming it after the P-38 achieve?

P38 Pilot said:
I like the fact its called Lightning II because the P-38 was a very good twin engine fighter. It also played a key role in the war like the shooting down of Yamamoto's transport.

If they come up with another name, I would call it "Strikehawk."

Too close to to being "Sh*t Hawk"

Maybe they could do what they did to all the codenames for operations. Remember when they had cool names like Overlord, Husky and Anvil? Now we get crappy propaganda-based ones like "Iraqi Freedom" that originated not in the Pentagon but rather some advertising agency. :rolleyes:

So I'm surprised the didn't call it the "USKicksAss" or something.

Like the YF-22/YF-23 thing...I liked the other one. Not just on looks either.

Cheers, Neilster

evangilder said:
The funny thing with Overlord is that the original plans had the name Operation Bigot.

I was under the impression that Bigot was the name given to the level of security for Overlord. It was the highest possible.

Cheers, Neilster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back